PhotoCamel Down - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Site-Related Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2015   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: PhotoCamel Down

It is more than likely a DNS issue if you are having problems somewhere, or on some device at this point.

This might help some.....

WinXP: Start, Run and then type “cmd” and press Enter.
Windows 7: Click Start and type the word “Command” in the Start search field. ...
Windows 8: Type "cmd" and the Windows search bar will appear on the right hand side with search results. Right click on Command Prompt and click "Run as administrator"

In the open prompt, type “ipconfig /flushdns” (without the quotes).

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 11678231
Editing OK?: Yes

I am glad the forum is back in business! Fortunately for me, my WOT and AVG disallowed access to the malicious redirect.

So Cal Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 5883836

I tried that first with my version of Windows 7 Pro and it didn't do anything. I went back about 2 weeks. Windows 8, I can't stand W8. My wife has it on her pc and she also hates it. Maybe, just maybe when they release Windows 10.
palters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #14
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 20612880
Editing OK?: Ask first

The site comes up fine for me now and when I log in it says welcome Donspear but if I try to view my threads it seems to kick me out telling me I have to register. Any suggestions gratefully accepted. Thanks.
Donspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Thanks for all your hard work in getting the site back in operation so quickly Mr. P.
I was still having issues on some of my Windows 7 pc's. After clearing the cache things appear to be back to normal.
Old 05-15-2015   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 13655016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem View Post
Ran a routine restore [Windows 8.0]
and no other detective work needed.

Try that if other methods don't help.

`
System restore has bailed me out more times than I can count.
Old 05-15-2015   #17
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 13655016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
As all the "regulars" know, PhotoCamel experienced some technical issues that caused the site to be "non-existent" and unavailable for a few days. During this time it was being redirected to a site that was for lack of a better term, a "spammy" site, telling you your browser was out of date, or you won the lottery, or FaceBook wanted to give you $100, and so on.

At no time was any data accessed, borrowed, or stolen, so no worries on that side.

It took awhile to figure out what the issue was, make sure that other data was still secure, fix and correct the issue that caused the problem, and then wait while all the servers in the world replenished themselves on the fact that we are here now, so show us the login page again.

We do not like the fact that we were down for a few days, and don't like it for all our PhotoCamel members and friends. This techie stuff happens, and it isn't an excuse, but much bigger sites with much bigger budgets than ours have experienced the same outage issues. We did the best we could to get back online and give you all the friendly community you have enjoyed for as long as you have been a member, which is over 10 years for a lot of us. Thank you and hope we do not experience another issue and hope you understand and get back to posting and visiting here.

I for one greatly appreciate all your efforts. There IS no other site like the Camel.
Old 05-16-2015   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 568

Many thanks for getting the problem sorted, I missed my Camel fix. My wife's I pad didn't like the other site kept jamming up the works, but now you are back.
Jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015   #19
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

First off, the initial problem certainly appeared like a technical issue. There was site available. Happens to a lot of sites. Could be a server failure, a service failure, or any number of other issues. This was all before it appeared the site was hacked, and it was NOT hacked in a sense that most seems it means. The data was NEVER at risk.

Internet routing relies on an core infrastructure with a number of key junctions. Compromising any of those junctions can permit the propagation of the corruption to some or all of the other junctions. The PhotoCamel site is hosted behind the firewalls of a major web host, is well secured, and backed up. The site and all its contents remained intact and undisturbed while, unfortunately, the re-directs started and occurred. When some people in the chain assume the other end is dead, they take liberties on that traffic until it is corrected and stopped, and we aren't dealing with that route again because of it. Compromises of this nature can, and have, occurred with many other web sites, including those of the largest corporations. The issues in the network structure to and from PhotoCamel were diagnosed, identified, and got fixed. The site came back online in trickling fashion, while a plethora of servers got the information based on their timelines, not ours. In fact, some people still do not have access to the site, but that is not a PhotoCamel issue. The issue is with their ISP to us, mostly a DNS issue at this point, somewhere.

Should we have done more to inform the membership? Yes. But, doing so would have resulted in lost time trying to figure out if it is a long term issue, or a short term one. In the end, we informed through Facebook. We should have also posted the same information on Twitter, but our Twitter page doesn't seem like it reaches near as many as Facebook, but yes, not an excuse. This will be corrected in the future, but we do not want to have this issue in the future.

There are a lot of pieces and components to the Internet to get data to all of our little devices. We control a very small section of that, and we are not a large corporation with a huge financial bankroll. We actually have a very tiny bankroll. The site is free to all members, and even the lurkers who don't even join. The server and names and services that we use all cost something, and that something is not supplemented by membership fees, so we do the very best we can, and while some do not like that we were down, it was a LOT worse for anyone here who helps keep this site going. We know some will not be happy and will not return, soon or ever, because we had issues with connectivity and we hate that, and why we continue to keep this site online, free for all, for over a decade. We hope our membership appreciates all that we have to do behind the scenes to keep the site up for their use.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015   #20
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 18901952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
We hope our membership appreciates all that we have to do behind the scenes to keep the site up for their use.
Most certainly I do !! I also realize this is a "free" membership site and probably a "small" budget to keep it up and running, I personally appreciate all you've done from all aspects !!
Thanks for the explanation,,

Jimmy Buffett
jaharris1001 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Site-Related Announcements »

Share this topic: