Credit cards
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography > From the Professional Side

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2016   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15495
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Credit cards

Just a quick question - What method do you use to accept credit cards? I've been working for another studio for some time and haven't done anything on my own. Financial reasons may dictate that I become independent. Thanks in advance for any advice, it's much appreciated.

Old 12-09-2016   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2683
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Credit cards

Square seems to have emerged as the dominant provider of credit card acceptance for small businesses. I have accepted credit cards a handful of times for clients that did not want to go through the hassle of setting me up as a regular vendor, and just wanted to pay me easily. You can find them here: https://squareup.com/
Even my neighborhood liquor store uses Square. Intuit/Quickbooks also offers credit card acceptance services, but I have had no experience with them except for using Quickbooks software for bookkeeping. Bear in mind that, when you start taking credit cards, you are paying a fee to whomever the financial company is. I think that Square charges something like 2% to 4% depending on how the transaction is made. I haven't used my Square account in a while, so I have forgotten the exact amount of the fee. Either way, unless you pass that cost along to your client, it's money out of your pocket. That money IS tax deductible, but it's still money that you're paying out. I hope this helps. Feel free to message me if I can be of further help.
bevilaquafoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016   #3
Vicuna

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunatley, I have a carappy phone that won't install the App. It keeps saying there isnt enough storage space, even though I deleted EVERYTHING. Oh well, back to the drawing board! Don't ever get an HTC phone, theyre CRAP!
billbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 58394711

There are a few payment apps out there that you can accept cards with.

https://www.merchantmaverick.com/top...-alternatives/

BambersImages Flickr
Etsy Shop Print Sales

Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.
“Happiness is a habit – cultivate it.” ~ Elbert Hubbar
A Camera puts a frame around life. ~ Joel Meyerowitz
BambersImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139
Editing OK?: Yes

In a word, "Square". The app is available for Android as well as Apple devices. You don't need a phone. We bought a tablet specifically for Square (an iPad) years ago. We use only as needed data plans (we pay for a 30 day / 3 gig plan) when we're not in a location where we can connect to a wireless Internet network. Nowadays, the connectivity isn't completely an issue as the app will store transactions then process them when you are connected to a WiFi network again (The downside is if a charge is declined). There are several other pluses for Square including the ability to send invoices. The rate is highly competitive. We've been with them for going on 5 years and I have nothing but good things to say the service. Standard deposits are in the bank the next business day after the transaction. For a price, the deposits can be in the bank day of. That costs a percentage point or two, but if you were in a tight it would be an option.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017   #6
Vicuna

Thanks for the advice everyone, I got it working now!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography > From the Professional Side »

Share this topic: