Prints from...Walmart?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 104
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question Prints from...Walmart?

Has anyone tried getting prints from Walmart? I have some photos that I want to print out, possibly 8 x 11 or bigger.
If anyone has any other great experience at any other places, please let me know.
Thank you.

Canon AE-1 50mm
www.facebook.com/Twohundredtwelvephotography
djl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009   #2
KmH

CamelKarma:
Default Re: Prints from...Walmart?

How about any image up to 24x36, as long as your image is at least 100 ppi (2400x3600 pixels) Mpix.com

Three choices of paper, framing, canvas wraps, and a slew of other products. Though they are an online consumer photo finishing source they are used by working pro photographers too.

An 8x11 would need to be 800x1100 pixels.
Old 03-22-2009   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 419

I actually had to use the local WM for a fast shoot a few weeks back and their Fuji gave me awesome results. The bad news? They were ripping that Fuji out the next week. I haven't been back yet to see if the new machine is any good.

Moral of the story? Check around. Sometimes you can find local places that still have good (and if maintained well) high quality machines like the Fuji chem machine. If this machine had been staying, I would probably be using it much more. It's always worth looking around. Sometimes, you find a hidden gem.

And in re: to the larger sizes, you just have to ask. I agree with the other post about just getting it online through Millers, WHCC, etc, but you never know unless you ask. If you're in a large city, you might have local access to the same sizes and quality.

5DII x2, 15FE, 24L, 35L, 50L, 85L, 100M, 24-105L, 70-200L
SureFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 596
Editing OK?: Ask first

I've done 8x12s at Walmart and the quality was good I thought. Of course I'm not a pro, just going off my eye.
jgillmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 179247
Editing OK?: Yes

I highly recommend costco for both quality and price. 8x12 is only $1.99 for glossy or lustre print.

The local costco photo lab (as well as many others as I have talked to other members) are very professional people, with professional equipment and actually care what the printed material looks like before they hand it to you. Rather than the walmark $6.25 an hour bored teenager.
aram535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 596
Editing OK?: Ask first

Don't have any Costcos around here, so I wouldn't know how they compare.
jgillmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #7
Lubbock, Tx.

CamelKarma: 307172
Editing OK?: Ask First

Every June, right before the Kerrville Print Judging, I'll have WalMart print 8 4x6 prints for the TPPA folio competition. (BWC in Dallas prints all my top-shelf competition prints).

I do this for one reason:
To show that WalMart can print competition level machine prints.
I've hung a merit on each one for 5 years, with the exception of two years when I didn't attend.
Simply disable the kiosk's auto correct feature and you've got beautiful images from the Fuji Frontier.
Old 03-25-2009   #8
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McCall View Post
I do this for one reason:
To show that WalMart can print competition level machine prints.
...Simply disable the kiosk's auto correct feature and you've got beautiful images from the Fuji Frontier.
Exactly.

Old 03-25-2009   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 179247
Editing OK?: Yes

I guess different walmarks use different printers. The one around here the images look like it was printed with a dull crayon.
aram535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #10
Guanaco

I highly doubt it's a Fuji Frontier then. FF are what many of the larger labs use as well. Many WM's have been swapping to some new digital sytem over the past year, but I do not know what that system is as I have not been by the local WM since that previous printing when they told me the Frontier was leaving in a week or two.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images »

Share this topic: