Printing 101
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Printing 101

It has been a while since I last printed so forgot what one has to do to make a photo ready for printing. Would a kind soul run us through the steps needed to prepare a file. Let's call it Printing 101.

Some parameters that might/may not be useful. Sort of like assumptions:

- Input: the file will be from a 5D, which is 4368 x 2912 cam. A jpeg sourced from Raw.
- Output: 11x14 inches.
- Mpix will be printing it.
- General purpose print, not for an exhibition or anything fancy like that.

Thanks for any advice.

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 194
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Printing 101

aam1234,

I wish I could find the book that has what you are requesting. Frankly, I think you also need to specify the other hardware and software involved in editing and printing. If you really want this, I would search Amazon,com for the current paperbacks written by well known authors that cover what you are asking. My honest opinion is that in these books, you will find or you will be able to assemble from the information in these books what you are asking.

Happy Thursday,
Tom
Tom Swaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #3
Camel Breath

Hi Tom, and thanks

Not looking for the ultimate methodology in printing. Just want to get my feet wet and print decent photos at this stage. Reading books about the subject, at the moment, would be an over kill.

Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2007   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes

Since you will be sending the image to Mpix for printing, the steps are rather simple.

1. Edit the image in PS or Elements or whatever, to your taste, keeping the image at 16 bits if possible.
2. Crop the image to the 11x14 aspect ratio; do not resample at this stage.
3. If Mpix requires a color profile other than what you use as your working profile, convert to that profile.
4. Resample the image to whatever resolution Mpix requires (300ppi ?).
5. Do a final output sharpening to taste.
6. Flatten image and convert to 8 bit mode.
7. Save image in whatever format Mpix requires. (tiff, jpeg ??).

Save a copy of the file at any step where you think you may want to come back to the image and refine what you have done.

Cheers/Mike
Old 11-01-2007   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

Quote:
4. Resample the image to whatever resolution Mpix requires (300ppi ?).
If the resize is for a larger print, let their software do the resizing. I've had better results from both Mpix and WHCC going this route. If its for a downsize, do it yourself. Deadsmiley showed me a 16x20 made from a 6MP D100 file that looked awesome. WHCC did the resize.
Old 11-01-2007   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805
Editing OK?: Ask First

Opinion: This is a good question but asked in the wrong place. If you have decided to have prints made by Mpix (I've never used them so I do not know) it would seem the first step is to read every word in their help section and blog. Certainly there are some things that cross over from printer to printer but information you get from Mpix should be better than anything offered here.

I have gone on record before suggesting that people might try Costco but should develop a rapport with the local machine operators at their local store. This goes for anonymous online sites, too, but rather than a face to face chat with the photo manager, you need to understand what they have posted in the way of instructions. Certainly I am more than willing to tell you what I do to get what I want from their services but I'm not 100% sure I know more about it that they do so my opinions are just that. Looking over the Mpix site, I see evidence of a place I might try if I wanted a print larger than my Costco can do or if I were to move to a part of the world where Costco has no store. In my situation, the extra cost for postage alone would make me hesitant to try them as long as I am getting what I want locally.

One thing I really believe no matter where you will be having your print made is that you should deliver them a file that is the correct proportions for the print you will be ordering and not allow them to guess what should be cropped out from your full 5D image. At a minimum you need to crop off about 662 pixels from the long side (one end or both) as you see fit if you expect an 11x14 that fills the paper. Since you are converting from RAW and polishing the image anyway, you might as well throw out the part that you want gone rather than making someone else guess what you are thinking.

I hope you get replies from Mpix veterans.
Old 11-01-2007   #7
Camel Breath

Thank you, Mike. Appreciate your help.

But at this stage I probably need to contact either the Russian or the Chinese embassy to help decipher what you have written above

This thread should be titled "Printing 99" instead of "101". Baby steps here
Old 11-01-2007   #8
Camel Breath

I don't think they have Costco where aam1234 lives. But I do know that it isn't just Doug that loves them. They must have a well established training program.
Old 11-01-2007   #9
Camel Breath

Quote:
One thing I really believe no matter where you will be having your print made is that you should deliver them a file that is the correct proportions for the print you will be ordering and not allow them to guess what should be cropped out from your full 5D image. At a minimum you need to crop off about 662 pixels from the long side (one end or both) as you see fit if you expect an 11x14 that fills the paper. Since you are converting from RAW and polishing the image anyway, you might as well throw out the part that you want gone rather than making someone else guess what you are thinking.
When you upload the file, there is a simple crop preview that allows you set this much faster than in Photoshop. I actually prefer using this.
Old 11-01-2007   #10
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsmit View Post
One thing I really believe no matter where you will be having your print made is that you should deliver them a file that is the correct proportions for the print you will be ordering
Exactly. But I don't know how to do that, unfortunately.

Btw Doug, I'm not in the US. Will be ordering online because it's cheaper than the crazy printers here. One guy quoted me $35 for 11x16. Would you believe it.

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images »

Share this topic: