COSTCOS PRINTING
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 42797
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question COSTCOS PRINTING

Anyone tried this venue?? I have heard good things, some from 'experts', but have NO IDEA how big I should expect to get a good print from my D 80-- JPEG?? Any hints would help. THANKS!!!

Old 10-29-2007   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11
Default Re: COSTCOS PRINTING

I use Costco in the UK for any prints I want bigger than 10 by 8.

They have better equipment than I can afford, and for most of us amateurs they are a far more cost effective option than buying the large printer.
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 173

I imagine that will also very from location to location.Spend a few dollars ,get an enlargement ,and judge for yourself.....

Thant's my 2 cents:Brady
Freezframe_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232
Editing OK?: No

I've had some fantastic prints made at 8x12 from a 6mp DSLR and could easily have gone larger I think. The website will warn you when you're getting into a size where they'll no longer guarantee the results based on the file you submit. You can also download paper profiles for specific stores if you're printing close to home. You can have them printed with the profile you embed or let them do the color correction in the lab with the click of a button. It's worth a try. I've been very happy.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 137

I've used them a lot to just print 4x6's right out off the Compactflash card with excellent results. Last week, I modified a shot with Photoshop Elements, saved it to a CD as a JPEG and took it to my local Costco for an 8x10 print. I loved the results. Like a previous poster said, their stuff is better than anything I can afford. I've also seen some of the B&W that I thought was nice. It's not a custom printer, but I think the results are fantastic for the price.
actaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes

Absolutely terrific results from my local Costco. Use their profile to soft proof. From my D200 images I have gone to 12"x18" with just wonderful color fidelity.
Old 10-30-2007   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805

My long answer to this disappeared from this thread so I must have offended someone?
Short version:
I love Costco. Process your images on your computer, crop to proper proportions for the size you will order (out of camera works for 4x6, 8x12 and 12x18 - others need cropping). Calibrate your monitor so you know what you see is correct. When you go to Costco, specify "No Corrections" so they won't recorrect what you already did 'your way' on the computer (this is very important for some shots including those with black backgrounds). Talk to the photo manager there for help getting the most from the 'No Corrections' option.
Old 10-30-2007   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232
Editing OK?: No

Doug, just to test their lab I edited a portrait on a calibrated monitor and used Lee Varis' skin tone numbers to correct the tone and then had them print two versions. One with the correction on and one with it off. The two prints were identical to my eye.

If you wanted a different effect you wouldn't want them messing with it but otherwise the lab correction seems good.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 113

I use Costco all the time for even my 4x6" prints. Their prices in my area can't be beat. Their quality is exceptional and their customer service is also top notch. I ordered a bunch of family photos through the web and had them sent to an out of town location. Upon picking up the photos, one was creased. I can understand how those things can slip through since they do a lot of photo printing and may not look. I looked at them and told the guy about it. He reprinted it right then (which also came out creased...lead to an equipment troubleshoot for them) and gave me all the copies. I just can't see going anywhere else.

As for size, I've printed an 11x14" photo collage and it came out fantastic. The client matted with a white mat and a black metal frame and it looked incredible. I saw another photographer there with a great black and white portrait of a preschooler that was out of sight.

I'd highly recommend Costco, but again, each location might be a bit different so it's worth checking in to.
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8
Sigma 2x teleconverter
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
18-55mm stock (came with the D50)
Nikkor 70-300mm
http://www.kaymeephotography.com
Sacramento Photography Examiner
drkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #10
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee4145 View Post
Doug, just to test their lab I edited a portrait on a calibrated monitor and used Lee Varis' skin tone numbers to correct the tone and then had them print two versions. One with the correction on and one with it off. The two prints were identical to my eye.

If you wanted a different effect you wouldn't want them messing with it but otherwise the lab correction seems good.
The problems I had was with images when the center and edges were very different in tone or color. Examples:

In both cases the 'auto' print (NNNN NN on the back) came out considerably lighter than the 'No Corrections' print (NNNN --- on back) which matched the file). It did not seem to matter whether the darker part was central or edge and no print that 'failed' on 'auto' was too dark. Both the examples were images from 2004 when I first started using Costco. I have not tried prints with 'corrections' since I found out about the issue. Possibly they have worked out the bugs and it is not the issue it once was but I'm getting what I like as it is and hope nothing changes.

There is a moral to the story: Make friends with the people who do your prints. All the lab workers at Costco recognize me and treat me like a king. I'm personally of the opinion they treat everyone that way but that does not keep me from feeling special.

My these old images are embarrassing. They both come from the early days while I was trying to learn my first DSLR and still shot JPG.

dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images »

Share this topic: