Calibration from monitor to printer..manually
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2016   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 649996
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Calibration from monitor to printer..manually

I don't have a calibrator for my HP 2011x monitor or a Calibrator for my Epson R1800 printer. The photos below showing a pretty close to exposure that I would like to have my printer print out, but the darkest photo is what printed out. I tried to readjust the monitor image lighter in photoshop but it came out pretty bad. What is the best way to calibrate the monitor and the printer manually (if that is possible)without using so much ink.And the "banding" on his face is what I get when I haven't printed for a while. Takes a couple prints for it to go away, and that's after the printer has cleaned the heads from starting up.

File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (88.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (86.0 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by deerpark243; 02-20-2016 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Added
deerpark243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Default Re: Calibration from monitor to printer..manually

And on the 8th day God said, "Let there be Colormunki" And God looked down at his calibrated monitor and the print and said, "It is good."

This will solve your problems if properly used.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016   #3
Guanaco

I can't even afford one of those...
Old 02-22-2016   #4
F1 Camel

Whoever told you photography was A cheap hobby deserves a

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Old 02-22-2016   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120
Editing OK?: Ask First

To get 'accurate' calibration you really need to calibrate every device you use. So you need to calibrate your camera, your monitor and finally the printer. Otherwise the exposure and color will not be correct. However what you are willing to accept might be a lot less than 'accurate'.

You really should at least get some sort of monitor calibration device. However, if you can't afford that, you can't help it.

The most common problem when printing is that your prints come out too dark. The most likely problem is that you have your monitor too bright. I'd try to cut the brightness down in half. Then try to print again. You might need to keep lowering the brightness more. But I'd start with that and see how you make out.

Overall the first image looks like it's underexposed. You might have to edit that as well. But first off, try lowering the screen brightness and see what that does to your print.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016   #6
F1 Camel

Complete tutorial for producing quality prints.
Making fine prints in your digital darkroom: Getting started

Old 02-22-2016   #7
Guanaco

I knew I had to have my camera calibrated to my monitor, but I didn't think it was as big of a deal monitor to printer, and yes I have a tendency to make my photos too dark. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-25-2016   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 715245

This is going to be slightly long winded so please bear with me.

Something else you can do is use the soft proof feature of your editor. What this does is use an icc file that was created either by you (not feasible as you can't purchase a calibration kit) or the printer maker (using oem ink & oem paper) or the paper manufacturer (most large reputable paper makers create icc files for use with the most common photo printers. ck their web site for icc files). When using soft proofing you are simulating the printed image on the monitor using the appropriate icc file that equates to the much reduced ink gamut. You would than edit the photo as needed while in soft proof to get the colors/brightness/etc as you want, than print. Now this does work much better on a calibrated monitor but it will at least get you on the same ball field instead of the one down the road. My experience has been that I now have 2 saved files. 1 for viewing on a monitor either the web or flash drive on another computer and a second that is just for printing. You can't compare the 2 files at all as the print file will look totally awful when not on soft proofing as you are using the much reduced gamut that the printer can produce not the much wider gamut the monitor can display.

Now for calibrating, I do know that there is some free tools that will help to get you close to correct. The first big one is the stepped gray scale chart that goes from black to white. I have seen this on several sites down at the bottom I just cant think of one at the moment. Basically you adjust you bright/contrast so that both ends show a change. in other words if the brightness is to low the last 3 black blocks will look the same and if the contrast is to hi the 3 white end blocks will look the same. you want to aim for being able to see all (usually 16) blocks as separate steps of brightness. The next one is most likely going to be more difficult to locate but it has several colored blocks that have a flashing center of a slightly different color and you adjust the saturation/tint sliders so the flashing blocks appear to melt and disappear into the solid blocks. These 2 things can make your editing closer to correct sans a cal kit.

For the banding I have found that to keep this from happening I need to print something at lease every other week. I usually print a small 4x6 (I purchase cheep photo paper for this at walmart in a pack of 50 for a couple of bucks, sometimes I will use one of these as a proof before printing just to ensure things are looking the way I want instead of burning a 11" or 13" sheet) just to keep the heads free flowing.

Most definatly go look at the site that gryphonslair99 posted. lots of good stuff there. You will most likely find the charts I was describing.

Paul
ptremb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

The printer doesn't do much of a head cleaning when starting up. You need to go into the menu and run a nozzle check and cleaning cycle (or two). Your prints are too dark because your monitor is too bright. As already mentioned, a good start is to turn the brightness down on your monitor.

You don't need to calibrate everything to get decent results. Just calibrate your monitor. This calibration device isn't too expensive:

aolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

I'm not much of a print maker. Meaning I don't really have very many images made into prints. They usually stay just files for looking at on a monitor of some sort.

The few images I print per year though, I don't print at home. I don't think printing images at home is worth the time, effort, frustration and money. Because I don't print often my printers ALWAYS clogged. I doubt I will ever again buy a printer with ink. Then you have to fiddle with it to get it print the image correctly.

Unless you are printing a lot of big images or running a business, for me it just make sense to have someone else print them for 19 cents an image. The results are usually better, it's cheaper, and it's a whole lot less frustrating as well. For me it a no brainer.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images »

Share this topic: