need a new printer
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2015   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 90066
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default need a new printer

My Epson 3880 stopped printing. First the black ink cartridge was changed ( low on ink ). Then it started depositing four or five very wet wide black lines every 1/2 inch from the left edge in for about 1 inch. Nozzle check showed missing black and yellow. Head cleaning, nozzle check repeated 3 times no help. Turned printer off for over 8 hrs and tried nozzle check. Head movement and page feed was normal however no ink on paper. Contacted Epson support and they had me do three cleanings and nozzle checks, remove and reinstall ink cartages to no avail. Then advised me to send it to authorized repair facility. Looking at the cost of shipping, unknown repair cost return shipping I decided to look for a new printer. There are no 3880 printers available and Epson can't or will not tell me if they are going to restock. They have introduced the p800 and states in the description that it is a replacement for the 3880.

As yet I can not determine if the p800 prints will be as good or better than the 3880. The p800 uses a new type of ink. Hate to lay out $1200 + to find out. But may have to if the 3880 isn't made available in the next couple of weeks. I have tried mipx and adoroma pix but was not that impressed.

Your thoughts appreciated.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images »

Share this topic: