Monitor & printer calibration
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 649996
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Monitor & printer calibration

My Epson r1800 is about 1 stop lighter(or more) than my HP 2011x monitor. Is there a way to correct this without buying a X-Rite ColorMunki Photo, Monitor Calibration, Camera & Printing Profiling system(or monitor)? It's a waste having to keep adjusting the image for it to come out of the printer correctly.

Thank you

Old 07-08-2015   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Monitor & printer calibration

Could adjust the printer settings in the software you use to print with. You might use color matching in the driver, which could be an issue. But could be worked around. What program you use?

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 649996

It seems it really doesn't matter what program I use, it's looks great on the monitor, too light when the printer print's. But that's a good idea I can try and make my own profile.
deerpark243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 103
Editing OK?: Ask First

If having the same colors and contrast on your monitor as it comes out on your printer, there is no way around a sensor. Furthermore, you need to work with printer profiles for each different paper.

Have a look into this eBook for a short overview on a color managed workflow:
http://spyder.datacolor.com/scripts/...k_EN_final.pdf

If you decide to buy such a calibrator, be sure you buy one with ambient light sensor that will calibrate the contrast of your monitor correctly to the room light in your room. This is the one I use:

Just think about the money you would spend in paper and inks during the next five years in try and error. It might be worth it if you print a lot.
ruben_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

A long, but very good read: Making fine prints in your digital darkroom: Getting started

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Printing Images »

Share this topic: