Prom sample...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 113410
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question Prom sample...

I photographed a prom last weekend and the kids wanted a really plain background and a column. That's what we did, but I also told them I'd "bling it up" a bit in PS and add stars. Are the stars too bright? Remember these are not studio portraits, but rather school prom photos that were sold quite inexpensively. I can't afford to spend a lot of time in post.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Ellbee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Prom sample...

I don't think the stars on the background are too bright.

A vignette doesn't take much time, I'd add one to this to finish it out.

I laughed at the way you covered the eyes - that looks more fun than the black box I use! lol
Old 05-23-2009   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 77753

The stars are ok. I like the smaller ones, Lori. The column looks unsubstantiated to me but if that's what they want then nuff said.
Old 05-25-2009   #4
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
I don't think the stars on the background are too bright.

A vignette doesn't take much time, I'd add one to this to finish it out.

I laughed at the way you covered the eyes - that looks more fun than the black box I use! lol
Thanks Sis...funny thing is...there is a black vignette on this one. It is just not real dark. I'll see how it looks a little bit darker.

Glad you liked my "star sunglasses." I didn't want to "ruin" the image per se so I got goofy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by transcape5 View Post
The stars are ok. I like the smaller ones, Lori. The column looks unsubstantiated to me but if that's what they want then nuff said.
I agree about the column. That was the one thing they really wanted.
I'm thinking about adding text on top of the pedestal or something. It does kind of look like, "what the heck is the pedestal doing here?!"
Old 05-25-2009   #5
Camel Breath

Now that you mention the vignette, I can see it - but you might want to do as you said, and try a little darker, it blends into the gray a bit right now.

Can I critique a couple other things? I know you pretty much were talking about the background and the stars...

Oh - another suggestion would be to clone a fern or something similar onto the top of the column.
Old 05-25-2009   #6
Camel Breath

Quote:
Now that you mention the vignette, I can see it - but you might want to do as you said, and try a little darker, it blends into the gray a bit right now.

Can I critique a couple other things? I know you pretty much were talking about the background and the stars...

Oh - another suggestion would be to clone a fern or something similar onto the top of the column.
Dan does NOT like dark vignettes so I was trying a vignette without it being obvious. I'll work on it a bit more.

If it is something I can fix or add simply in post sure...let me know.

I'm tempted to remove the pedestal altogether! The theme was "A Night in Paris." I could add an Eiffel Tower, but that would be a bit much...I think.
Old 05-25-2009   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellbee99 View Post

If it is something I can fix or add simply in post sure...let me know.
No, it's more like what I'd suggest for next time. I suspect they'll be calling you again next year.
Old 05-25-2009   #8
Camel Breath

Quote:
No, it's more like what I'd suggest for next time. I suspect they'll be calling you again next year.
What is it Sis? What is your suggestion? I know she is leaning back on him a bit too much and she should be turned a bit more to the camera. Sometimes they just won't listen no matter how hard you try.
Old 05-25-2009   #9
Camel Breath

How about this?

Remember this is still uncropped. I realize she is tilted a bit. This is my niece and this was a first test shot. Most images were couples so the vignette will fit better around a couple. I'm not exactly what I'll do for groups that don't have the pedestal...probably leave the ball out.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0955.jpg (137.7 KB, 250 views)
Old 05-25-2009   #10
Camel Breath

Well - your lighting is good in that it doesn't throw big shadows on the background, so it's not really as relevant with these - but depending on the background, next time, you might want to have them a little further from it.

But the main things I was going to mention were the placement of the hands on the girl, and the posture. On the hands, where they are is right below the curve of the belly and will emphasize that curve, especially if they are clasped - I'd suggest raising the hands a bit. The posture of this girl is also leaning back, which emphasizes her belly a little bit as well. Just something I've had to learn over the past 3 years too, lol.

Edit - just saw the 2nd post - she appears to be leaning forward, or is it a little bit of lens distortion? Sorry - just saw your explanation.

Anyway - I think you did a good job. Your lighting is very nice. Is this your first prom?

Critique and comments always welcome.
Rain Lily is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: