New toy.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
 


Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009   #1
Camel Breath
 
patterfr's Avatar
 
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 15,412
CamelKarma: 4373975
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default New toy.

Wanted to try to get a light modifier that could control light a little more, for quicker light fall off than an umbrella, shooting "strobist style" with a speedligh(nikon sb800) on a stand that can be easily carried around and that was still pretty cheap. Settled on this(they never missed me for that little hour trip to B&H travelling between offices)


http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...box_White.html

FIrst try here in my living room. No reflector just in front of a black felt hung on a door. Softbox about 2 feet in fron of her to camera right. I think I'm gonna like it. Gotta try it outside.

What do you all think?
Can you imagine light like this anywhere with any bg without an umbrella blowing light all over the place.
And doesn't cost too much.

__________________
Members don't see ads in threads. Register for your free account today and become a member of PhotoCamel to open up the site's many benefits and features.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maddy small softbox copy.jpg (180.8 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg lite dome 1.jpg (127.4 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg light dome2.jpg (145.2 KB, 296 views)
__________________
-- Fran


"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #2
Vicuna
 
Lory's Avatar
 
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 175
CamelKarma: 4896
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New toy.

Oh Wow...beautiful shot! (I want one of those...ha!)
Lory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master
 
gaopa2's Avatar
 
Location: NE GA, USA
Posts: 9,991
CamelKarma: 2656581
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New toy.

Fran, that is a beautiful photo! Your new toy is serving you well already! Cheers, Bill P.
gaopa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #4
Bactrian
 
Maggie_B's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,283
CamelKarma: 1324420
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New toy.

New toys are cool! That's a fantastic shot Fran. Oh the possibilities of portable lighting!

Mag
__________________
Comments & Critiques Always Welcome
Maggie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #5
Camel Breath
 
Rain Lily's Avatar
 
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 25,937
CamelKarma: 12371645
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New toy.

Wow. Totally perfect. And she's beautiful.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Critique and comments always welcome.
Rain Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #6
F1 Camel
 
tbnj's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,257
CamelKarma: 17910
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New toy.

The photo looks great!

And I have that exact same box, Fran. I was considering getting a Softliter to replace it. You feel it would be better to have both?
__________________
~ Tina

tbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #7
Photocamel Master
 
Bob B's Avatar
 
Location: The Center of the Universe
Posts: 7,592
CamelKarma: 951730
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New toy.

Great shadow / light control
__________________
=====================================
.....Canon A630
===========================================
TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU LIKE TO BE TREATED. Mt. 22: 39
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #8
Camel Breath
 
Rain Lily's Avatar
 
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 25,937
CamelKarma: 12371645
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New toy.

Now there's something else for me to buy, LOL - Fran is very much an enabler.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Critique and comments always welcome.
Rain Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #9
Camel Breath
 
patterfr's Avatar
 
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 15,412
CamelKarma: 4373975
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lory View Post
Oh Wow...beautiful shot! (I want one of those...ha!)
Thanks.
GO get one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaopa2 View Post
Fran, that is a beautiful photo! Your new toy is serving you well already! Cheers, Bill P.
Thanks Bill.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie_B View Post
New toys are cool! That's a fantastic shot Fran. Oh the possibilities of portable lighting!

Mag
I agree. Thanks Mag!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
Wow. Totally perfect. And she's beautiful.
Thanks you Sis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbnj View Post
The photo looks great!

And I have that exact same box, Fran. I was considering getting a Softliter to replace it. You feel it would be better to have both?
Both? C'mon, you're a woman right? You gotta ask?
For example, Black shoes or red shoes? Both. C'mon, it's in your blood.

I think it is very tough to beat a softlighter. And it's easy to set up and gives off a nice soft light. I got this for head and shoulder lighting only so it's small size is probably ok.
When in doubt the bigger the better I would think. And this small softbox has less utility compared to the softlighter.
But this is kind of fun and I wanted the type of light that would give good lighting on the face/shoulders, but would still be sort of darker at the waist. SO far I think this is perfect for this.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
Great shadow / light control
Thanks Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
Now there's something else for me to buy, LOL - Fran is very much an enabler.
Yes I am. But you might want to tell Tina how hard it is to live without the softlighter as well.
__________________
-- Fran


"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #10
F1 Camel
 
tbnj's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,257
CamelKarma: 17910
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterfr View Post
Both? C'mon, you're a woman right? You gotta ask?
For example, Black shoes or red shoes? Both. C'mon, it's in your blood.
lol! Okay, you got me there.


Quote:
I think it is very tough to beat a softlighter. And it's easy to set up and gives off a nice soft light. I got this for head and shoulder lighting only so it's small size is probably ok.
When in doubt the bigger the better I would think. And this small softbox has less utility compared to the softlighter.
But this is kind of fun and I wanted the type of light that would give good lighting on the face/shoulders, but would still be sort of darker at the waist. SO far I think this is perfect for this.
Okay, gotcha. And I have gotten really good results from it.

My reason for considering replacing it with the Softliter is that I thought it would be easier to set up and break down, given that it folds like an umbrella. I've become really spoiled by my foldable softboxes and kinda hate to mess with regular softboxes any more. Although it's small enough, I usually just leave it set up and pack it around like that.



Quote:
Yes I am. But you might want to tell Tina how hard it is to live without the softlighter as well.
Probably wouldn't take too much to twist my arm....


__________________
Members don't see ads in threads. Register for your free account today and become a member of PhotoCamel to open up the site's many benefits and features.
__________________
~ Tina

tbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »


Share this topic:

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Better pics of my toy. TimC Transportation 2 01-02-2009 03:57 PM
new toy and probably new pics badpickev Fuji 2 04-17-2008 10:00 PM