Family Portrait C&C
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2019   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 103998
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Family Portrait C&C

Hi there,

It's been quite a while since I've been on here, but I have gotten some great advice so I wanted to get some advice/C&C on the following pictures.

I usually shoot motorsport and automotive photography, but some friends of mine asked me to do some family pictures for them. Since this isn't something I usually do, I was a little unsure of how to postition everyone and placment of hands, feet etc. It also didn't help that some of the pictures were in harsh sunlight. I gave them the pictures the other day and they loved them, which i guess is what matters, but I was hoping I could get some things to take away for next time.

Thanks in advance!

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3

Picture #4

Picture #5

Instagram
Flickr
criscross79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383
Default Re: Family Portrait C&C

You did a fine job of capturing what seems to be a happy photo shoot. The expressions are invariably pleasant, which is difficult when so many subjects are involved. All of the poses are good. The large tree made a good background in #2, but wasn't big enough for #1 and #5. The background in #4 works well. In #5 the trees to the right throw it a bit off balance. Perhaps you could have fixed that by crowding the group more to your left. If the backgrounds have significance for the people, that is more Important than my quibbling. This is a coherent series of group portraits, better than I could have done.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 103998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
You did a fine job of capturing what seems to be a happy photo shoot. The expressions are invariably pleasant, which is difficult when so many subjects are involved. All of the poses are good. The large tree made a good background in #2, but wasn't big enough for #1 and #5. The background in #4 works well. In #5 the trees to the right throw it a bit off balance. Perhaps you could have fixed that by crowding the group more to your left. If the backgrounds have significance for the people, that is more Important than my quibbling. This is a coherent series of group portraits, better than I could have done.
Thanks for your input! I agree with you about the tree being to small for the whole group.

Instagram
Flickr
criscross79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 542743

My vote is for number 2. Great series overall.

War Eagle
k9ofkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

A great series. My fave is #3.
Old 03-28-2019   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1145880
Editing OK?: Ask First

Nice series.
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2656581

Nice work, Chris.....

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: