Sophia
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2019   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 639568
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Sophia

I invited the local German Foreign exchange student in for some fun.

She's fairly pale and so feminine I put a dress on her that I'd purchased a few years ago from ebay and threw on more tulle and other stuff and asked her to move around.

Then I decided to try a texture. I see other's textures and love them but I always choose mine without when given a choice.

I'm too much of a realist.

Anyway, here's two from my play day, two with textures and one without.

File Type: jpg Sophia-1210079-002.jpg (440.8 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Sophia-1210028.jpg (199.3 KB, 127 views)
Linda G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 9354
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Sophia

These are really nice; the treatment you have given. suit them admirably.

Nikon D300, Fuji S2 Pro, Tokina 12-24, Nikon 16-85 VR, Nikon 70-300 VR, Sigma 50 & 105 Macro, Nikon MB-D10 Nikon SB-600 & SB-50DX
http://www.pbase.com/ericg
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 23726099
Editing OK?: Ask First

These are so lovely, so romantic...I love especially the first one which surprises me as I am not a 'texture' person but it just really adds to the romance and whimsy playfullness of the image.

Entered the DSLR world in 2009
Nikon D7000, Nikon D5000 - Nikkor 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 G VR , Tamron 90mm, Nikkor AF-SDX 18-300mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 150-500mm
Photoshop CS5
I enjoy taking local classes/photo shoots...always willing to listen and learn.
Taigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019   #4
Guanaco

Thank you both.

I loved playing dress up as a child and then had a daughter. Poor girl....Now I have a studio and I get to dress up anyone who walks in the door and doesn't frown!

The top one has two 'textures' as I don't know that the window grate cutout would be considered a texture. I debated leaving any hint of a texture on her skin but decided it looked cut out without it so I left a touch.

Your approval encourages me. Of course, the more I do it, the more overdone I know I'll do some but practice practice practice -AND doing it wrong - makes for a perfect finish.
Old 01-28-2019   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810
Editing OK?: Ask First

Linda G is my wife and I met this young lady since my office is next to her photo studio. I know from having 6 foreign exchange students (4 from Germany, 1 from Finland and 1 from Argentina) that this will be a highlight of this young lady's visit to America. She hails from the University town of Marburg and we had a fun time talking about places we have been in Germany and having her tell us about her location. She was a very good model (Linda told me since I am not allowed to interrupt her sessions) and had a great time.
jhawk1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 6146683

I think her beauty is enhanced by the obvious fact that she's having so much fun. People look so much better when they're happy.

I like the texture in the first one, but am distracted in both by the obvious line between floor and background. ( I do like the floor) I would suggest getting a piece of baseboard, wiping it with some limed oak stain, and leaning it against the backdrop.
Mike67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 227132

I'm digging both of these Linda, the 2nd one more so. Love the detail in the dress.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #8
Guanaco

Thank you Ernst, my original idea was to go b&w and I probably still will when I get a promised block of time to play.

Meanwhile, I ditched my Nikon gear and went with Olympus. I'm liking the lighter weight gear and the quality is certainly there, it's just that we fought so long to have huge file sizes and full frame and now, reverting!
Old 01-29-2019   #9
Guanaco

Mike, you are right. I usually do it in post but did these fast. Thank you for the reminder that I'm seriously not done with it!
Old 01-29-2019   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 227132

Once I close the studio down, hopefully in Sept, I'm considering downsizing the Canons to the smaller Fuji's.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: