2nd attempt at portrait C&C please
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2019   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 731171
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 2nd attempt at portrait C&C please

So I am going to give this portrait/head shot thing a few more tries, let me know what you think of this one. Shot at f8, ISO 400, 50mm 1/200 sec. Used window light and one reflector on opposite side for fill. Also use 1 flash pointed at background with purple gel. I am looking to make improvements on future portraits so please feel free to nit pick it.

igneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: 2nd attempt at portrait C&C please

Not bad. Good light but maybe a tick too dark, but not really positive about that.

What I think might be a problem, or a discussion point anyway, is why you shot at f/8...? Portraits usually are more like f/2.8 or f/1.8, 1.4, etc. But depends on the lens and distance to subject. Also might depend on how much light you can get, either natural or from flash/strobe... You have good depth in focus, like all of her, which might be what you want. so maybe you can explain why you used f/8...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1145880

Nicely done, especially for a subject wearing glasses (no glare).
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019   #4
Vicuna

I used f8 because there wasn't anything distracting in the background that needed to be out of focus and I wanted to maintain texture and detail throughout the portrait. Do you think it was a bad choice?
I am sure there is some way to get a shot without any glare on the glasses, but I have not figured that one out yet. I was able to make it almost non existent after repositioning the glasses on her face multiple times and found that lifting the frame slightly above her ears which tilted them forward worked best.
igneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 219979
Editing OK?: No

igneous, Nice for the 2nd attempt.

I really like the gelled background light on this. We do have some glare in the glasses coming from the reflector, we see it in both glasses on the far left. Careful placement of the reflector is needed. I would have like to see you turn her nose more towards the window short lighting her face. Slimming her face down and giving more fullness to it at the same time. I generally run a softening filter for the face and get rid of fly away hair.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

I suppose it depends on what type of headshot you're looking for. Sometimes you want it tighter, sometimes not as tight. For me, this one feels to tight.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1145880

Quote:
Originally Posted by igneous View Post
I used f8 because there wasn't anything distracting in the background that needed to be out of focus and I wanted to maintain texture and detail throughout the portrait. Do you think it was a bad choice?
I am sure there is some way to get a shot without any glare on the glasses, but I have not figured that one out yet. I was able to make it almost non existent after repositioning the glasses on her face multiple times and found that lifting the frame slightly above her ears which tilted them forward worked best.
Your method worked well, just a bit in the frames. Only other method I'm familiar with involves lots of cloning, of course repositioning your lights should work just as well. Nicely done.
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383

f/8 is an appropriate choice, despite the current fad of fuzzy big aperture portraits. If the subject normally wears glasses, their use here is also appropriate. You've handled the customary problems with them well. Some photographers stock up on frames at second-hand stores, remove the lenses, and use them in portraits. The costume and background work well together. Fine expression!
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 219979
Editing OK?: No

Whenever doing portrait work with folks that wear glasses I just raise that main light and have the sitter lower the chin just a tad.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019   #10
Vicuna

That is a good idea, I will have to try removing the lens from an old pair of glasses. Unfortunately, I could not raise or move the light because it was from a window and I was working in a very tight space so I really couldn't move the subject either. Right now my main focus is getting the lighting correct. This is unfamiliar territory to me so I will continue to try different set ups until I figure it out. Thanks for the comments Everyone!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: