Testing new octobox
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2018   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 721208
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Testing new octobox

Testing out new octobox and Rim lighting of the hair. Does the lighting look to flat? I am wondering if the lighting needs to create more contour to the face?
Krystal by rgollar, on Flickr

Canon EOS-1Dx, Canon EOS 5D mark III, Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM Lens , Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, Canon Extender EF 1.4x III, Canon Extender EF 2x III

My Flickr
Rgollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383
Default Re: Testing new octobox

Fine lighting. It looks natural, especially with that background. Highly controlled and dramatic lighting can be distracting.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018   #3
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Doesn't look too flat to me. Looks well done. Nice shadows. If anything the shadow edges are too pronounced, but I'm being picky to give you something to think about. How far was the light away from her? Maybe move it in along the same line to subject and see if the edges soften or how it changes otherwise.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018   #4
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
Doesn't look too flat to me. Looks well done. Nice shadows. If anything the shadow edges are too pronounced, but I'm being picky to give you something to think about. How far was the light away from her? Maybe move it in along the same line to subject and see if the edges soften or how it changes otherwise.
Thank you for the cc. The lighting was at a 45 degree towards her face to try and get some light across the face to show some depth and contour in the face and not make it to flat. And a strip box at the back of her hair. I try to just kiss the hair with light and not over do it. Appreciate the cc I like the photos but some one mentioned that they looked flat so I was just curious if others thought so to. I don't think they do but I have been wrong before lol. Thanks again
Canon EOS-1Dx, Canon EOS 5D mark III, Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM Lens , Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, Canon Extender EF 1.4x III, Canon Extender EF 2x III

My Flickr
Old 11-17-2018   #5
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
Thank you for the reply if I remember right the light was about 3 feet away. I usually try to put the light distant the same as the light modifier size to start with and go from there. I do use clam shell lighting and raise it higher when I want to sculpt the features in the face and then bring in a reflector from under neath. This shoot was 45 degrees from the face and a strip light along the back of hair. Thanks for the reply.

My Flickr
Old 11-27-2018   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 542743

I think your lighting looks fine. I'd be pretty happy with it if I were you.

War Eagle
k9ofkaos is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: