Olympus four third's camera
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 627685
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Olympus four third's camera

My husband's hobby is photography and he invested in an older Olympus OMD 10.

I took it for a few spins but not in the studio and loved the light weight of it. I've used it at many of the high school football games we photograph and really like the quality of the images.

We purchased a little bit newer model, the OMD 5MII

I decided to call in a lady who lets me practice and try out the Olympus with the strobes.

I'm not going to lie, I spent a lot less time in Lightroom with these files than I did with the Nikon D750 and D800 files. The color is really amazing.

File Type: jpg Jessica BD-240048.jpg (183.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Jessica BD-240096.jpg (335.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Jessica BD-240028.jpg (310.2 KB, 83 views)
Linda G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Vicuna

Default Re: Olympus four third's camera

MICRO 4/3's!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Was going to say, M43, but you got it.

Olympus colors have always been pretty well done. Not sure if you shot them in JPG or RAW (ORF). The JPG's are pretty well done, sometimes a bit too over the top on sharpening. With the ORF's in LR I set them to Camera Natural instead of Adobe Standard and they change a bit. Then adjust from there.

But these are very well done. Nice colors and the lights/darks are well done too. Sharp looking too. He has mentioned that M10 and the new to you all M5mkII, says you have it under lock and key, but I don't remember what lenses you got afterwards. Maybe you shot these with the 12-40 or the 40-150.

But excellent work on these.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1134021

I used to own an Olympus m4/3rd (EPL1) and while it was a nice camera the response time was too slow for my comfort, with studio shots like yours it would've been a capable camera, for sports shooting it was inadequate. Hopefully your camera is an all around system. Nice captures.
shadowman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Vicuna

Mr. PIckles, it was the 40-150. I had brought the shorter lens but did not use it. I brought our 14 - 42 but did not use it. I use raw and process in Lightroom. I have the camera set to the portrait setting and even if I forget to take it off, am not displeased when I use it for other things.

We have a 12 - 40 on order!

Shadowman, I use this for sports, high school football and am very pleased with it. I do not have any of the images on this computer but you can see some here: https://www.facebook.com/WichitaNort...035042?__xts__[0]=68.ARCTlKKxFA7As4GiYdQv-q6i-dw5VI2kvNgMWj7QA6LZ8GIA8gCHb9aWt8sxVS9o2OviYh4AE4j T2FKGidEvFWGaEvRv4JVVUzPjbnJRoJaYnt0Ukf-qbFSI4PPr29sMmyiRJJg5kd5fNXacKdGF3oVi2dsjyz67etlAZ U4Z74g4m-hDY4USwoSBm-mVEh45WRYMyiAV-vBOSCvRxo1DRdy71U0&__tn__=-R

I got irritated with the camera having the playback and had to find out how to disable that since the playback was in the viewfinder, too. I could not see what was going on after hitting the shutter!

I took this panorama this morning and processed it in Lightroom only.

I've been playing with a new program called Luminar and like some things about it and am looking forward to their upgrade which is supposed to have a killer feature for skies but overall, I prefer Lightroom.

Thank you all for the feedback and conversation!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA260136-Pano.jpg (156.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 5122782

Superb portraiture of your lovely model, and colorful autumnal pano. Having recently added the OMD-E M5 Mkii to my kit, I can fully share your enthusiasm, Linda.

Also, recent threads, Laughing Kookaburra, and Shy Rosella illustrate the M5 Mkii's stellar performance and IQ, coupled with the 40-150mm F2.8 Pro + X1.4 converter.

Melbourne Gals
demonstrates the flair of the lightweight MFT 14-150mm, F4-5.6. It is a versatile, general purpose lens, ideal for travel and cheeky street photography.
pandora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
I used to own an Olympus m4/3rd (EPL1) and while it was a nice camera the response time was too slow for my comfort, with studio shots like yours it would've been a capable camera, for sports shooting it was inadequate. Hopefully your camera is an all around system. Nice captures.
The OMD M5 Mkii auto focus is lightning fast. It can shoot RAW files at either 5fps, or 10fps continuously until the card is full.
It shoots stunning 1080 HD movies at 60fps, which can be edited in Olympus Viewer3 that comes bundled with the camera.
The in-body 5 axis image stabliser eliminates camera shake, full splash resistant weather sealing lets you shoot in rain (if you like that sort of thing).
pandora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
Vicuna

Thank you, Pandora, I'll check those out!

Shooting in rain. Actually kinda hate it but LOVE the results. In other words, the next day I love going through my images. heh.

I've always been interested in video but not ever investigated. Now might be my time!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1134021

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
The OMD M5 Mkii auto focus is lightning fast. It can shoot RAW files at either 5fps, or 10fps continuously until the card is full.
It shoots stunning 1080 HD movies at 60fps, which can be edited in Olympus Viewer3 that comes bundled with the camera.
The in-body 5 axis image stabliser eliminates camera shake, full splash resistant weather sealing lets you shoot in rain (if you like that sort of thing).
Thanks for the information, another thing that I remember was the frequent change of software, first there was ib which suddenly stopped working, then Viewer 3; if I still had the camera or decided to buy another I would probably just use a DNG converter though.
shadowman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda G View Post
Thank you, Pandora, I'll check those out!
Shooting in rain. Actually kinda hate it but LOVE the results. In other words, the next day I love going through my images. heh.
I've always been interested in video but not ever investigated. Now might be my time!
Shooting in rain can be fun, especially in summer if you don't mind getting soaked to the pelt!

I'm not into videos either, but mentioned it for others that are. They are such huge files to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
Thanks for the information, another thing that I remember was the frequent change of software, first there was ib which suddenly stopped working, then Viewer 3; if I still had the camera or decided to buy another I would probably just use a DNG converter though.
Sounds as if your Olympus experience goes back a few years. Micro Four Thirds technology has come a long way as Linda's portraits portray.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: