Portait of my friend
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Portait of my friend

Hello Photo Camel community

I love portraiture, each time I can I ask friends to pose for me.

This is an attempt a plugin with LR 3 (imagenomic portraiture)

Any way your comments and critiques are welcomed to help me progressing
Many thanks

jacques

BANANAJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Portait of my friend

Pretty! I would like to see her body turned more to her right, just a little - and her head just a tiny bit to her left, making it a little more dynamic. Also, I'm thinking the pose is a bit awkward with her weight on her left leg (camera right) - next time, have her put her weight on the back leg.

I'm not really understanding the shadow on the background here - it's on the same side as the light, which shouldn't be.
Old 07-22-2012   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
Pretty! I'm not really understanding the shadow on the background here - it's on the same side as the light, which shouldn't be.
Sis,

My guess is the maker used an on camera flash unit to trigger the main light and the shadow is a result of that. It could be cloned out.

Ben
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #4
Alpaca

thanks a lot for your comments Rain Lily

For the shadow, may be its is because I use the on camera flash with the gary fong puffer for a try of on-axis fill flash).

I really do not like this shadow neither...!
Old 07-22-2012   #5
Alpaca

Benji youre definetely my Master... You' re absolutely right it is the on camera flash with the gary fong puffer for a try of on-axis fill flash.

I will note do that again
Old 07-22-2012   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 144834
Editing OK?: Ask first

The problem with the shadow was that your flash was not exactly "on-axis". If you just turned your camera vertically without using a flash bracket to keep the flash directly above the lens, then you're going to get those shadows when your subject is that close to the background.
mjp321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845
Editing OK?: Yes

Everyone has to do lots of study and practice to learn how to do good portraits. One of the best ways to learn is to listen to criticism from photographers with more experience. I'm still learning and some of the advice I have gotten here has greatly helped me. Keep posting and listening to the criticism and helpful information and you will quickly improve.

As mjp321 said, if you use an on-camera flash for a fill it should be above the lens.

I'm sorry to tell you, but the GF Puffer is basically a waste of money. Soft light requires that the source of light is large with respect to the subject. Changing a 1"x1/4" flash tube into a 2"x1" flash simply isn't a big enough change to make the flash any softer.

The only way a Puffer or a GF Light Sphere works is by causing the light to spread out in all directions to bounce off the ceiling or walls. It is the bounced light that softens the light on the subject. That can work in a small room with near by walls, but only if the walls and ceiling are neutral in color. Since the light spreads out in all directions you don't really have any control over how it bounces onto the subject.

If the walls or ceiling are colored then the bounced light will color contaminate your subject. Outdoors or in a large room the Puffer or Light Sphere are totally worthless, only wasting light that could be aimed at the subject.

You are better off using a hot-shoe flash which can be bounced. That way you control where the light bounces so you get more controlled subject lighting. Light bounced off a wall, a corner, or the ceiling is from a large source and is soft and flattering but of course it needs to be bounced off a neutrally colored wall or ceiling.

For a waist up portrait your main light should be at least 3' on the diagonal for a softbox or have a measured 3' diameter of the opened umbrella. The fill can be a bit smaller but it is generally best if it is about the same size as the fill light. Use the main and fill at subject to light distances of 1 to two times the diagonal or diameter for nice soft light.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #8
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp321 View Post
The problem with the shadow was that your flash was not exactly "on-axis". If you just turned your camera vertically without using a flash bracket to keep the flash directly above the lens, then you're going to get those shadows when your subject is that close to the background.
Thank you mjp321 I will know for the next time

regards

jacques
Old 07-23-2012   #9
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Blue View Post
Everyone has to do lots of study and practice to learn how to do good portraits. One of the best ways to learn is to listen to criticism from photographers with more experience. I'm still learning and some of the advice I have gotten here has greatly helped me. Keep posting and listening to the criticism and helpful information and you will quickly improve.

As mjp321 said, if you use an on-camera flash for a fill it should be above the lens.

I'm sorry to tell you, but the GF Puffer is basically a waste of money. Soft light requires that the source of light is large with respect to the subject. Changing a 1"x1/4" flash tube into a 2"x1" flash simply isn't a big enough change to make the flash any softer.

The only way a Puffer or a GF Light Sphere works is by causing the light to spread out in all directions to bounce off the ceiling or walls. It is the bounced light that softens the light on the subject. That can work in a small room with near by walls, but only if the walls and ceiling are neutral in color. Since the light spreads out in all directions you don't really have any control over how it bounces onto the subject.

If the walls or ceiling are colored then the bounced light will color contaminate your subject. Outdoors or in a large room the Puffer or Light Sphere are totally worthless, only wasting light that could be aimed at the subject.

You are better off using a hot-shoe flash which can be bounced. That way you control where the light bounces so you get more controlled subject lighting. Light bounced off a wall, a corner, or the ceiling is from a large source and is soft and flattering but of course it needs to be bounced off a neutrally colored wall or ceiling.

For a waist up portrait your main light should be at least 3' on the diagonal for a softbox or have a measured 3' diameter of the opened umbrella. The fill can be a bit smaller but it is generally best if it is about the same size as the fill light. Use the main and fill at subject to light distances of 1 to two times the diagonal or diameter for nice soft light.
For sure I have a lot to learn more, Photography is such a beautiful art....

many thanks again for all those good advices

Regards

jacques

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: