A few of my firsts.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3144
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default A few of my firsts.

I wanted to post a few of my initial pictures that merit posting, and I was hoping a few of you would help me with some C&C. I've had my camera for about 6 months, and I'm interested in taking portraits. I don't know if these necessarily qualify as portraits, but they're closer to that than photojournalism. (Assuming I am getting my terminology straight.)

This one is of my roommate Ryan.

My other roommate's (also Ryan) girlfriend, Erin. Natural light at high noon. Bleh. I wanted to) go out later, but apparently I know nothing. I was still worth a shot. (pun)

Self Portraits:

...and a fun one.

In practicing and just being a beginner, I suppose that I'm judging my success on how many people are using my photos as FB profile pictures. haha

Thanks in advance,

~Starbucks Jay

Old 09-05-2011   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: A few of my firsts.

Not bad for a beginning, especially #1 and #4, but there are some technical flaws present.

Rather than point each flaw out why don't you read Benji's "The Rules Of Good Portraiture". I'm sure you will be able to pick out most of them yourself, which will teach you more than having someone else point them out.

http://photocamel.com/forum/tutorial...rtraiture.html

The compiled rules are available in PDF format. I printed out a copy and read it over every now and then myself.

http://www.focusingonflorida.com/Doc...ortraiture.pdf

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: