Candid look - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits (Advanced Critique)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 227132
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Candid look

Yes, The flash is harsh of a light and I feel we have some lens distortion going on.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbutler57 View Post
It is a wonderful capture but the eyes are a little soft. I hope you don't mind my edit.

[snip!]

I, too, like (the other Alan's) edit. However, assuming that your flash, lens and camera skills were up to the task, you could have done much the same thing in-camera by closing down the aperture by about two stops and setting the focus on the subject's eyes rather than the forehead and hair. I think you were close enough to the subject to have done this without overtaxing the capability of your flash unit.

I won't complain about the other faults that the others have complained about because these require what for you may be fairly major investments in equipment - an external flash unit capable of "bouncing" light from a nearby light-colored surface such as a ceiling or wall to give more flattering light, a longer (focal length) lens so you can back up to avoid the "distortion" that some of the others are talking about, and perhaps a camera body that can accommodate these accessories. Assuming that your camera is already equipped with a zoom lens that will give the same angular view on your camera as an 80 to 135 mm lens on a full-frame digital camera or 35 mm film camera (i.e., 35 mm equivalent) and can accommodate an external flash, your first priority would be the external flash. Most "kit" zoom lenses or non-interchangeable lens zooms can meet the necessary focal length requirement.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #13
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2900
Editing OK?: Yes

Great shot of the boy, I like the edited photo. I wish I were as talented at photo editing. Thanks for sharing!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits (Advanced Critique) »

Share this topic: