Amanda
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits (Advanced Critique)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 416203
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Amanda

Umbrella feathered camera Left, reflector camera right and hair light (speedlight).
Any feedback is appreciated!!
Thanks for looking.

Old 07-18-2017   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Amanda

Light is a bit hot on her face. How close was the light on camera left? What do you mean by feathered....how? The falloff is pretty quick then even.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 416203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
Light is a bit hot on her face. How close was the light on camera left? What do you mean by feathered....how? The falloff is pretty quick then even.
It was than a foot away.
Earlier I had it the same distance but pointed right at her and I wasn't liking the results so I turned it the way you'd feather a softbox and it did seem to help and it also caused slightly less spill on the bg
Old 07-18-2017   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1004893
Editing OK?: Ask first

I like the pose and her smile. There seems to be a halo around her shoulders, face and hair. Also I find my eye wandering trying to find the focus.

Olympus OMD EM-1, EPL1, standard kit lens, 17mm 1.8, 60mm macro, 75-300mm II, 45mm 1.8, Rokinon 7.5mm Fish Eye, lens cap lens, ec-14, Fl-36 flash, adapter, misc accessories.
mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017   #5
Administrator

less than a foot away? I'd say too close then. Inverse square law. Move it back farther and try.

Old 07-18-2017   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 226472

Well, you asked... please dont be offended, where offering our feedback is all.

It was mentioned the face was hot with flash, and I agree. Actually, the whole model is full of flash. Not enough subtle shadows to give depth.

Lastly, the backdrop has no lighting, it give a "picture taken in a dark tunnel" feel.

If I were to shoot the picture, here is what I would do, try it and EXPERIMENT, you will find your OWN MAGIC! Key flash, fill flash, and backdrop flash. This will solve all your "problems".

Fill flash: The one that gives the most light. For this pose, I would be at a 45 deg angle to the left. The fill flash is the brightest one. If all your flashes are the "same intensity" (as are mine), you can adjust the "brightness" of the flash by controlling the distance. Therefore, for example.. I have 3 cheap, manual "speedlight" flashes, my key flash would be about 4 feet to the left at a 45 deg angle.

Fill flash: Less light, allows some subtle shadows, but still gives some light. 45 & 45 is usually your best bet, key flash at a 45 deg angle, and fill flash at a 45 deg angle. You can play with this and find your own liking, but I think most will agree, this is a time tested setup. Since we want the fill flash to be less, we can cover the flash with a white cloth, or move it further back from the subject. If I were to do the "distance trick", I'd move it back about 6 feet from the subject and take some test shots and move around to find the best results.

Backdrop flash: Ya just gotta pop some light on the backdrop, even if its slate grey! Put your backdrop flash on a mount and cover it with a cloth to reduce the brightness, you only want some pop, because THIS flash will be VERY close to the backdrop! Dont want to bleach it out with flash! Place this flash right behind the subject, just below the shoulder blades.

Hair light is not "critical", its a matter of taste, so play as you wish.

A cheap trick is Styrofoam cups to diffuse and if necessary, reduce light. One cup over a flash pointed up (nice ceiling bounce too! Will give that hair highlight your looking for too!) will diffuse the light VERY WELL. Ive used 2 or 3 stacked cups on my fill flash just to knock the pop down, in addition to some distance... play with it for the results you are looking for.

You can buy a bag of cups new at WallyWorld for $2, sip your Jack & Coke out of one, and diffuse light with the others! HA HA! Ive taken pictures with NO UMBRELLA or reflectors, only using flashes pointed up and a Styrofoam cup on them and gotten some REALLY GOOD results.

I didnt skimp on my camera, got a nice 5300 and very pleased with it... but the rest of my gear, ends up being on a shoestring budget so you gotta learn tricks or you wont get the shot you want.

In closing, watch some utube videos, read some articles, take some advice from here, and PLAY! PLAY PLAY PLAY!

Hope all I said is received in the spirit it was intended.
Gl, Andrew

My albums at photocamel:
http://photocamel.com/gallery/u69945-shutterklick.html
ShutterKlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017   #7
Administrator

I think esoxt has it covered as far as equipment. Apparently using 2 lights and a reflector. I'd say 2 lights ought to get you some nice results as 1 light and a reflector will, as long as you have enough reflector (like, not a 12" round one). The light can move back and get a lot softer, less harsh, while the reflector can be positioned much closer, just out of the frame. The hair light is give or take. I'd practice and practice with the 1 light and the reflector and move them closer and farther and study the results. Write down distances and match to images if you have to. Add the hair light later when you know how those 2 main "light sources" are working for you. The hair light in back just becomes an accessory at that point and easy to dial down and give that little rim or whatever.

Old 07-19-2017   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 815124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterKlick View Post
Fill flash: The one that gives the most light. For this pose, I would be at a 45 deg angle to the left. The fill flash is the brightest one. If all your flashes are the "same intensity" (as are mine), you can adjust the "brightness" of the flash by controlling the distance. Therefore, for example.. I have 3 cheap, manual "speedlight" flashes, my key flash would be about 4 feet to the left at a 45 deg angle.
Hi Andrew,
I think you meant "Key" here.
Gregw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 226472

Thanks Greg! Yes, I do think I have the concept correct, but the wording is incorrect.

Here is a video I just watched talking about lighting, "light names" are the same, no matter bulb/led or flash (AFAIK).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY0w68Evh5s

Andrew

My albums at photocamel:
http://photocamel.com/gallery/u69945-shutterklick.html
ShutterKlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017   #10
Lubbock, Tx.

CamelKarma: 307172

Good:
Great pose, fantastic expression. Great use of a kicker light. Lovely model.

Bad:
Overexposed.
There's a halo around the entire subject, possibly from artwork left behind or doing something to the background. Gives a fuzzy look, almost like the image is soft.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits (Advanced Critique) »

Share this topic: