Headshot
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits (Advanced Critique)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Headshot

These aren't beautiful peices of art these headshots, but it took me 45 minutes to setup. This is our pastor who I've been telling I could do better than what he's got there on the bulletin and he agreed just to shut me up I'm sure.
Grey seamless bg with SB800 on grid pointed for bg light.
Large softbox above camera for fill (f5.6)
Stripbox camera left for kicker. (f4.0) wanted to keep shadow side darker to slim face.
Hairlight on a boom with a snoot(f5.0)
Main 24x24 softbox close camera left.(f8.0)
Tried to go a little higher than eyes to decrease any double chin and to decrease glasses reflection
I think final meter was Iso 200, f9.0, 1/200.
This is the best I can do.
How much more work we got here?
I shot some without the stripbox kicker, but I kind of liked this.
Sort of like Monte Zucker portrait lighting in my mind.
If all goes well and he likes it I'll be staring at it on our Church Bulletin every week.....and then the millions will start rolling in I'm sure
Post processing was minimal. Some sharpening and I brightened his eyes a touch, added a vignette..

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #2
Camel Breath

Default Re: Headshot

Hey patterfr why don't you stop hogging this forum...
Sorry last one for a while.....I swear.

Old 08-13-2010   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First

Hi Fran!

I studied with Monte and HIS mentor Joseph Zeltsamn for decades. I miss both of them now that the are gone. In memory of my best teachers I will give you as close as I can come to a "Monte and Joe" Critique.

You seem to have lighted the heavier side of the good Father's face and left the thinner side in shadow. The main light is is not at a great enough angle and the shadow on the opposite side of the face is not showing enough and the near ear is beginning to pick up the main light. The skin tone look a bit light and lacks the degree of highlight detail it needs to make a good strong man's clergy portrait- I would like to see more drama. I also would like to see more detail in the blacks- the jacket is blending into the background. Letting some of the hair light's or kicker's beams fall on the shoulders would help there and a bit more tonal or color mass in the background would give you more separation and dimensionality. The kicker is slightly too HOT it need to be closer and more feathered.

The expression is GREAT- he looks like a nice, compassionate and approachable man. Good treatment on the eyeglasses. Perhaps printing (editing) the entire image darker with a tiny bit more contrast wit fix some of theses issues.

Ed
Old 08-13-2010   #4
Camel Breath

Thanks Ed!!!!!
I printed it and it looks darker and better than here.
For the bulletin he has to be looking this direction (not that I'd have recognized that from any sort of facial analysis at this point.)
I might post a few in the people forum just to "pick the best" I got a few without the kicker.
Thanks again!!

Old 08-13-2010   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First

I sometimes cheat- I photograph the best side of the subject's face and then flop the image to accommodate orientation requirements. No part in the hair, no jacket buttons showing- so I get away with it- a mirror image.

Ed
Old 08-19-2010   #6
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181

Didn't read the rules. Sorry. Deleted comments.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits (Advanced Critique) »

Share this topic: