trying to understand crop factor
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2005   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 32
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default trying to understand crop factor

Still trying to understand crop factor.

Is it true that if I shoot the same pic with a full-frame camera and one with say a 1.5x crop factor (like my d70) that the d70 doesn't actually give you anything that you couldn't get from the full-frame shot just by cropping in post (and in fact with the d70 you lose the surrounding part that is there with the full-frame shot)? Or is it that the d70 gives you more megapixels for that cropped area (vs. the crop from the full-frame shot) assuming that both cameras have the same megapixels.

To put it another way, would a full-frame camera always be preferable to one with a crop factor because it would give you everything the crop factor cameras does and more? Or is crop factor really all it's cracked up to be and a big plus for folks (like me) who love big zoom?

hartcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079
Default Re: trying to understand crop factor

Trying to explain the crop factor is a bit difficult so I went out and found a site that explains it real well

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...dslr-mag.shtml

I hope this helps you.
Old 07-19-2005   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

This analogy seems to work well:

Imagine a slide projector projecting a 35mm slide on a screen a couple of feet away - that's the view based on full frame 35mm. Now take a sheet of paper and place it on the screen - that paper is the analogy of the relationship between the full frame and digital sensor. If the paper is the same size as the screen- then that's the size of a sensor in a 1DS or 1DSMKII. If the ratio of the diagonal of the screen to the diagonal of the paper is 1.6 then that the relationship between the sensor on a 20D and a ff 35mm.
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 32

Ok, getting there. DOF is involved as well as magnification/cropping.

So then if you shoot the same scene with a full-frame digital camera and a d70 and then crop the full-frame image to be the exact same view as the d70 then it seems like the d70 version would have more megpixels packed into that same space (vs. the full-frame where you've thrown away some of the megapixels by cropping). So if the full-frame camera and d70 both have 6 megapixels then you're better off with the d70 version in terms of having lots of megapixels for printing, etc. (assuming the d70 "magnified" view is what you're after). But if you do the same comparison with a film camera (not a full-frame digital) then because film has such high resolution maybe the cropped version would still be on par with the d70 version in terms of pixel count (assuming hi-res scanning)?

My e-300 has a crop factor of 2 which is even more extreme than on the d70 which I believe is 1.5. So far I've been more into zoom than wide so it hasn't bothered me. And it sounds like the crop factor is actually a good thing as far as using film lenses on digital cameras are concerned since you wind up only using the middle of the film lens?
Old 07-19-2005   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartcons
And it sounds like the crop factor is actually a good thing as far as using film lenses on digital cameras are concerned since you wind up only using the middle of the film lens?
That's especially true for the really wide angles. I use a Sigma 14 occasionally - according to the reviews it's pretty poor at the edge (distortin and softness) - but if you're cropping at 1.3 or 1.6 then it's more useable (still too much flare for me though).

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: