Unusual camera/image applications
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Unusual camera/image applications

My 6-year-old granddaughter likes scavenger hunts, so I have just shot a series of about twenty close-ups of different objects and parts of objects in the living room for her to locate and identify. Something like a variant of our Guess the Close-up game here on Photocamel.

My camera is usually with me and I have had several occasions lately to use it as a portable photocopier. I have also used my camera in the past to make notes from the blackboard or overhead projector during lectures rather than to copy the information by hand, though I have found that this works best when there is a lot of information to be copied or it has to be copied exactly. Otherwise, it is usually less trouble to take notes the old-fashioned way.

Then there's the time I would have shot the guy who was rifling through my car in the parking lot but I couldn't get my camera ready in time. There have been a couple of times I have gotten ID photos of violators or their cars for lesser infractions though. Anybody used theirs on a crime watch tour or something similar? Anyone heard of a crime watch actually purchasing an IR camera specifically for the purpose?

What are some of the unusual or even oddball ways you have used your camera or your images? How successful was the application and what "gotchas" do you need to watch out for to improve the likelihood of success? I am especially looking for things that people don't normally think of but which would be useful or interesting to others.

Old 05-03-2006   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 57
Default Re: Unusual camera/image applications

As an auto electrician in New Zealand where we get a huge variety of strange vehicles I quite often photograph wiring diagrams when I get a chance and have even taken a picture of a strange warning light with japanese writing to take back to "Lui" who worked in japan for a while to interpret for me to save having to trace wires . Sometimes I take "evidence " pictures to show a customer what a mess we found before making repairs . I also take a picture of the map at the entrance to parks and reserves when going for a walk ... just in case .
Old 05-03-2006   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066

RokcetScientist,

Skirt, what skirt?

Great photo! Gives me the irrational urge to start drinking Foster's beer.
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #4
Camel Breath

That outfit is so skimpy that it ought to be called an invasion-of-privacy suit. :
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdowns
I also take a picture of the map at the entrance to parks and reserves when going for a walk ... just in case .
Now that is a good idea

Slea
Slea_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1362

I also use mine when I am dismantling thing so that I can work out how to put them back together

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, but a few electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie
I also use mine when I am dismantling thing so that I can work out how to put them back together
Now that you mention it, I think I have done that a time or two also.

I have also logged the contents of storage boxes with mine. This works especially well with books and similar materials when you shoot the box markings and the contents in contiguous exposures. For some things, such as paper files and other things that wouldn't show up well when packed, I have also shot a third exposure with the contents near but not in the box.
Old 05-04-2006   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728
Now that you mention it, I think I have done that a time or two also.

I have also logged the contents of storage boxes with mine. This works especially well with books and similar materials when you shoot the box markings and the contents in contiguous exposures. For some things, such as paper files and other things that wouldn't show up well when packed, I have also shot a third exposure with the contents near but not in the box.
I'm unable to overcome the temptation to bring up that such a picture may be worth only 30 or 40 words... but a helluva lot easier to take than writing them.

I used a camera to copy my whiteboard fairly often way back when...

Hopefully Alan will appreciate the sideways reference to mathmatics in the quote of the meeting that day. :

Chip
Old 05-04-2006   #9
Camel Breath

I saw one guy in the mid-1990s try copying the whiteboard with a film camera. I also saw the pictures afterward. In his case, the reflected glare from the on-camera flash put a big hole in the center of the information and resulted in horrendous light falloff toward the edges.

The reference to the "average" only applies to the arithmetic mean, at least for the *****. Men also have two breasts; they just aren't as prominent. There are other kinds of averages, such as the median and the mode, in which the "average" person would have a more usual number of these body parts. Since females slightly outnumber males for the general adult population, this means that the median human would most likely have two (prominent) breasts and no *****. However, the distribution of these body parts is highly bimodal and has a strong negative correlation. :P
Old 05-05-2006   #10
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 33

Quote:
a picture may be worth only 30 or 40 words...
Then again, some pictures are worth 58,195 words

or even 6 million

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: