Pentax Digital Medium Format: Still alive! (barely)
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Pentax Digital Medium Format: Still alive! (barely)

Read about it here:

PMA: Pentax revives medium format digital camera plan (update) news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

Unfortunately, it isn't coming to the U.S. at the present. Who knows if it'll even make it out in Japan.

cyclohexane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Pentax Digital Medium Format: Still alive! (barely)

Hi- I WANT ONE! It would be nice to give Hasselblad, Mamiya and Phase 1 a run for their money. Pentax allways had good glass. I used to have their 6x7 camera- I used to call it the "Spotmatic on Steroids"! Being a wise guy, I stuck a Dymo label on the back- "Do not drop this on your foot"!

Ed
Old 03-13-2009   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 17
Editing OK?: Ask First

Greetings
I was at PMA and attend discussions at the Pentax booth, this company doesn't have a clue as to what's going to happen next. It's like their waiting for the other "Hoya" shoe to drop. It's to bad too because the K20D and their lens have the most features and the best build on the market at a great price. I'd switch back except for 2 reasons,
1) No one knows where they'll be tomorrow, even Samsung seems to be going a different direction.
2) they're pro service isn't all that great. If you need to use a piece of equipment you can only use it twice, "it's to demo new equipment not a loaner service" So if I needed a piece of equipment for a shoot but I only need it 4 times a year or 4 times in two years I can't borrow it again after I borrowed it twice, never.

They seem on the edge.

Enjoy
Roger
Elitephoto9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2656581
Editing OK?: Yes

You really hate to see a fine old name like Pentax going through things like that. Cheers, Bill P.
gaopa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #5
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 236397
Editing OK?: Yes

I'm in the market for an 645 MF AF camera.I liked the focal length choice of the Pentax slightly better than the Mamiya.Because the Mamiya AFD ll has a digital back available,that will be my choice for future purposes.Pentax has really shot themselves in the foot over this camera.
Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 464941
Editing OK?: No

Pentax has been threatening this for a few years now and I sure wouldn't hold my breath. I just don't see them around much longer as they just aren't making the right corporate decisions necessary for today's market and economy. Several long time Pentax shooters I know are throwing in the towel and going to other systems. Lenses and flashes are two areas. Nissin is making their flashes. Great company BTW, I've used Nissin flashes and accys. since the mid 80's and just got another one to work with my SB600 off my D700 and D1X. You can't buy a Nissin flash to match the Pentax shoe for $200 or less like you can for Nikon or Canon but you can get the Pentax branded for twice the money. Tokina lenses are the same way. I have a couple that are excellent performers on my Nikons and would get Tokina where I won't bother with Tamron or Sig. but a Pentax shooter can't get one but can get a Pentax branded Tokina at a substancial increase in price.
This is the same route that Hasselblad took recently by not being backwards or sideways compatable.
I wouldn't think it a wise business move in todays world. While I feel that Phase1 and Mamia have their stuff together in the MF area especially when something like a P45 can be used on LF and on any other body.
This could also be a move on Pentax's part to keep their investors quiet and or to test the waters for responses. I see the announcement as a big nothing.
stdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 17673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdon View Post
Pentax has been threatening this for a few years now and I sure wouldn't hold my breath. I just don't see them around much longer as they just aren't making the right corporate decisions necessary for today's market and economy. Several long time Pentax shooters I know are throwing in the towel and going to other systems.
This is why I went with Nikon Dslrs. I kept waiting for Pentax to put a body out there and, it never came. I had my Pentax MX and, all of my glass so, I was wishing they would put one out but, it never happened. It was like they thought digital was only going to be a fad. I still have my MX and, my 50mm. I sold the rest of the glass, which I do miss. It was great glass.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: