People Viewing but not commenting on Posted Photos
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 65
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default People Viewing but not commenting on Posted Photos

I've been noticing in the different photo areas that there is a trend by people to view the posted images but not to say anything. There will be 30 to 40 or more views but only 1 or 2 comments left.

I know some people have a tendency to feel they aren't qualified to say anything... but believe me, even a simple "I like" or "I don't like" is better than silence. The "Silence is Golden" rule is not one of the photography rules.

People post pictures for a number of reasons. While some people post images looking to get constructive criticism and suggestions to help them improve, a lot of people post to share and hear what others think. Some post to give others ideas. This is why I usually give as much information as I can about the images I post. If people find out that some of these shots weren't that hard to set up and do, then it might spur them on to try it themselves... and maybe do a better job.

It's good to have areas where conversations are going on, but don't forget that those that post images would like to know what people are thinking when their work is viewed. It's part of human nature.

Mike

mikej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 40
Default Re: People Viewing but not commenting on Posted Photos

Some comments:

1. Some of the gallery boards are so busy already that it's really hard to keep up with all of the postings.

2. Lots of folks have a "look but don't buy" mentality. Same holds true here. I'm not sure what the answer is.

3. Another way to get your photos in front of more people who will comment is to start a discussion thread about some topic, and incorporate illustrative examples (i.e., your photos). That's actually the beauty of a forum like this, as compared to some others where you might not be able to embed photos in a discussion. For instance, the 85mm f/1.2 thread holds some fantastic photographs, none of which is posted in the galleries section. If they had been posted there, they likely would not have gotten the amount of feedback.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #3
Llama

I'd say let it fly. If you can't take criticism, I don't know how you can get better.
Old 08-04-2005   #4
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 398383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel
I see this as well but my thoughts have been that compared to what I have seen, pretty much anywhere else, we are having a great ratio and good number of comments - so I've been pleased.*

Mine greater dilemma is with "how" to balance criticism with encouragement.* It's so easy in this medium to have helpful comments come across as biting and harsh that I have to confess that I am hesitant being too picky.*
At the same time I feel "cheap" making nothing but positive comments.

Any suggestions on that?* What would be a good approach so we contribute to learning, give honest feedback and yet don't hurt someone's feelings?

So far I've only commented on the shots that I've really liked due to this.* How are the rest of you approaching this?
I think that you'll find that as we get to know each other better, the constructive criticism will come.* One idea is to incorporate a
critique level rating in a member's profile. Example: Click on Kevin Barrett's profile and you'll see: "Dead Honest Critique"
In other words, don't pull any punches.

Click on Suzy Newbie's profile and you'll see: "Just getting started here!" etc. etc.

Pixelcritic incorporates this into their flow with some success.

Kevin

The influence of a well-balanced, well-ordered life is of inestimable value. . . . E.G. White
Kevin Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #5
Dromedary

Alice, yes, there are a number of postings in the photo galleries, but they either don't have any or only have one or two comments and 30 or 40 or more views.

The photo galleries are where photos should go. I don't think the discussion galleries should be used primarily for posting images. Yes, if someone wants to ask a question about their lens and they give an example of what they are talking about, that' sone thing... but to post 3 or 4 or so pictures just to post pictures, that is not what the discussion areas is for.

Pavel, the two things I was always taught about giving a critique... you say what you think would improve the image but you also say what you find good about it. This way you are balancing what you are saying with something positive. It's true that it's not always possible to find something positive to say about an image, just like sometimes it's hard to find something to critique. Sometimes someone isn't looking for a critique, they just want to share and know people either liked or didn't like their image.

It use to be that you would be told "Give a critique like you would want one", but this doesn't always work because some people think the critique has to be brutal or it doesn't mean anything... which is the type they give as well.

Mainly what I'm trying to point out is that if people post images and nobody comments, it doesn't matter how many views they have... people will stop posting images. And if people stop posting images and that is why they came to this site, they will not keep coming. And if new people look in and see that nobody comments on the images, then they won't join to begin with. With forums like this you have 3 types of people, those that come for the images, those that come for the dicussions and those that do both. And it takes all three to have a successful discussion and image forum. If this forum only wants to be a discussion forum and only a minor image forum, then it doesn't matter about the images. But I like a forum that is well rounded in both areas.

As I said, it just an observation on my part. At least it's being discussed.

Mike

Old 08-04-2005   #6
Dromedary

Pavel, why, I say "Interesting shot but it looks like the exposure might be off a little. Were you going for that effect?" Or, a good one is to turn it around... "What do you think of your image? Did it come out the way you wanted?" Find out what they think first. Most people know their image has problems. They are just hopeing it's not as bad as they think it is. I hope that a lot.

Yes, I wonder why sometimes I get very few responses, which doesn't bother me most of the time. When it does is when someone else that has basicly the same image but that isn't any where near as good as mine gets 20 or 30 raving reviews. Now that's enough to get me shaking my head sometimes. But that's life in the fast shutter lane.

Mike
Old 08-04-2005   #7
Llama

Mike, I hesitate to say this, but you do know how to get more attention for your photos, right? You give them titles like "sex01," "sex02," "sex03," etc., regardless of the content.

In all seriousness, though, there's a bit of marketing that goes into even subject headings for photos on message boards.

Look in this forum:

http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/board,21.0.html

Did you notice that "beach babes," which turns out to be photos of kids on the beach, has many more "views," and indeed comments, than the selections with more pedestrian titles? I wonder why?

Old 08-04-2005   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 398383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel
I see this as well but my thoughts have been that compared to what I have seen, pretty much anywhere else, we are having a great ratio and good number of comments - so I've been pleased.*

Mine greater dilemma is with "how" to balance criticism with encouragement.* It's so easy in this medium to have helpful comments come across as biting and harsh that I have to confess that I am hesitant being too picky.*
At the same time I feel "cheap" making nothing but positive comments.

Any suggestions on that?* What would be a good approach so we contribute to learning, give honest feedback and yet don't hurt someone's feelings?

So far I've only commented on the shots that I've really liked due to this.* How are the rest of you approaching this?
I was thinking bit more about this...

Perhaps a dedicated critique area could be developed as a way to encourage some more in-depth discussion. I am by no means an expert, but
I have had my work subjected to both an instructor and peer critique and you know what... I survived and benefitted from the somewhat uncomfortable experience.

The influence of a well-balanced, well-ordered life is of inestimable value. . . . E.G. White
Kevin Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #9
Llama

Or maybe the area we already have would work, along with [critque wanted] or something like that posted with the title?
Old 08-04-2005   #10
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Morrison
Mike, I hesitate to say this, but you do know how to get more attention for your photos, right? You give them titles like "sex01," "sex02," "sex03," etc., regardless of the content.

Of course, Alice... the title of the post is 95% of the work in getting people to view it. But using titles that are just attention grabbers only works for awhile. There are people that do that all the time on other forums and any more I don't even bother to look. But I do try to give interesting titles when I can.

Mike

mikej is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: