Camera for son's photography class
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2005   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Camera for son's photography class

Hello all,
Hope someone can help me with suggestions. My son is taking a college photography course in a few weeks. He needs a 35mm SLR for the class. I had one years ago, a Ricoh -- very old, with a screw mount -- that has just "had it." (Things have broken on it and I think it's too old to get repaired -- it was used when I got it back in the 70s.) Anyway, I have three lenses for it and wondered if there is a way that we* can buy a camera body that will allow him to use the lenses I have? Since this is a college class I don't want to tie up a mint in it, but he is an art major and is showing an interest.* I loved my SLR when I used it, but I have "gone digital" now for my own artistic purposes.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marianne

Old 08-03-2005   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 112
Default Re: Camera for son's photography class

Go on ebay and look for bodies that will work with that lens mount. Probably find one very very cheap
Old 08-03-2005   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 40

I second the ebay suggestion.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 35

Does the Ricoh have what is called a K-mount lens? If so, it will also work with most Pentax SLR's. (e.g. K-1000). Either way, you should be able to find a nice one on ebay for under $100-- probably more like $75. There are many Ricoh SLR's there from the 70's and 80's which will be in excellent condition and many more Pentax models from the same era also in great shape.

Lastly an Olympus OM-1n is also an excellent choice for a photography class. With a 50mm f1.8 lens, expect to pay about $80-100 for a decent chrome body on ebay.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 34

In my opinion, if your son is really2 showing his talent in photography, why don't you give him a little present of a new decent SLR.
A canon EOS 300 V maybe. That is darn cheap. I don't know how much it is in US but here in australia it is only about AU$450.

It is a canon body, hence you will get the canon lens. The advantage is, he can later on easily upgrade this system as his experience gains.

just my opinion..
Old 08-03-2005   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 112

I would go cheap first, then upgrade later if he shows an interest. There were many things I was interested in in College, but few that stuck with me. Only the most expensive ones seemed to prevail, like horses.....
Old 08-03-2005   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 40

I agree with llpoolej. Cheap first.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 34

eos 3000 V with 28-90 lens for ---> US$ 252
eos 300V with 28-90 lens for ---> US$ 278

is that expensive for a starter? No.. not expensive for me...

why am i suggesting new canon system?? so that he can upgrade and expand his system later on.

He is pretty much stuck with Ricoh system now...
Old 08-03-2005   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 35

Does the instructor for the camera class want him to have a film SLR with manual controls? If he truly has an interest in photography, some of the posters here are right-- get him a nice, new camera. He may, however, need something different for the class. For years students entering basic photography courses were advised to get a Pentax K1000 or some other manual control camera.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 14

A Ricoh KR10 with 28/80 vivitar lens is for sale on Ebay for 17 ($25) I question whether he needs film rather than digital, but at this price it doesn't matter anyway. Yes Ricoh's use the Pentax K mount so lenses will be plentiful but mostly pretty old so watch out for scratches.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: