Critiques- How to give and take-IMPORTANT - Page 10
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014   #91
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Critiques- How to give and take-IMPORTANT

Ron! Conversation like this are good. Civil and professional "arguments" bring out good ideas, things to ponder and think about and that is constructive. It's also therapeutic to get things that bother you off your chest- off my chest. That helps prevent depression, heart attacks and strokes. Exercising tho old brain is just as important as excercising the rest of the body.

I like to think that folks with differences of opinion can still get along with each other in a creative community and remain friends nonetheless. I also like to feel that if I ever meet up with any of my online friends we could shake hands break bread and talk shop.

Sincerely,

Ed
Old 02-17-2014   #92
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 136021
Editing OK?: No

Last week I asked a young lady (HS freshman)I have known for a few years, "What would you really like to do?" Her instant answer, "I want to be a photographer."

After a few minutes of conversation I told her the best thing she could do right now is to visit this site. Not only could she learn "How to" here--she could learn "how not to," and that included getting along with other types of folks.

Sure hope I was right.
Assorted old film gear.
And my trusty 45 year old Weston light meter.
Critiques and comments always welcome.
oldugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #93
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scubadiver View Post
Bobbie, your intuition is correct, it wasn't a single image but a series, and when I let that person know it was not appreciated, it was not taken well. However, I went through a year of posting on dpreview where critique was being used as a tool of harassment. I had become unpopular and usually the critiques did not fit the images. You can get banned for calling another member a moron, but you can make them miserable by tearing their work apart on a daily basis.

There is also this tale that sticks in my mind. Someone once posted a famous HCB image in a Flickr critique forum. People did not recognize the image and ripped it to pieces. The truth be told, is there are some folks out there who know nothing and get enjoyment out of being negative. It's true, I don't trust the system.

Yes, I am a PJ guy, and I object to any image of mine being judged by studio standards. These days I try to avoid anything that would be confused with a studio shot.
3 things for me.

1. This is not DP Review or Flicker, if you have issue with their memberships perhaps you should share your disgruntlement with them rather than with us. If the offending party is indeed a member of the Camel I think we have to chalk it up to can't please all the people all the time. I disagree with the assessment others have of my work from time to time but all I can do is state that I disagree and why. From their I have to let it lie, I can no longer allow myself to become embroiled in what others think of me. Which leads me to #2

2. I learned a long time ago that in truth it is none of my business what other people think of me or my work. I am happy to hear the comments, good bad or indifferent but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is how I feel about the work. I must admit though I have gained some powerful insight from individuals I would have though of as unqualified to judgement but not all insight comes from experts. So today I hear them all and. I take what I can use and. I bin the rest.

3. When it comes to critiques that do not compare apples to apples I simply have no time for them. The same for critiques by those who always have a flaw to point out but never have an image to share. No not all those who offer well rounded critiques here share images on a regular basis yet I can value their thoughts on an image because their personal skill and technical talent shows in the vast knowledge that they share from a personal perspective rather than from a google perspective or from regurgitating what they have read others write about other images on this or other forums. Personally I see no need to cite the experience of others in my critiques as I tend to critique from a personal perspective based upon what I see as my own level of adequacy and or expertise. Yet sometimes one might share less than a critique and simply state an opinion or define how they personally reacted to an image. Case in point another member recently remarked about one of the physical attributes of one of my models in a manner which I took to be disparaging but to him he was simply sharing how that aspect of the image affected him. His intent was not to disparage but from my protective perspective that was what I took away from the comment.
Old 02-17-2014   #94
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scubadiver View Post
Ed, I once met a couple who did underwater photography competitively. They showed me a print and said everything had to look like that or it had no chance of winning. How unfortunate. They spent the week risking their lives diving to 132 feet (40 meters, the legal limit in Australia) in the hopes of finding something that the rest of us sane ones would not discover. That might be why I don't own an underwater camera.

Certain things do apply to both studio and PJ. But many things do not. It is no fun to have someone say a perfectly good PJ shot is crap while obviously applying studio standards that are not relevant. I don't know what's with these people but the real world doesn't have a plain white background and three strobes mounted on stands everywhere. The real world has good light and bad light and it is my responsibility to find the good light. Each year I get a little better at it.

I can't say this enough, those who feel compelled to be critics need to concentrate on the positive aspects of the images they like and ditch the personal taste issues. There is no reason why we can't say why we like an image and we ought to be seeing 10 positive comments for every negative one, but the ratio is nothing like that now. If our local critics concentrated on the positive, we would not be having this discussion now.

A world filled with praise and lacking criticism will soon stagnate in the status quo

PJ is significantly different than portraiture based work be it in studio or on location. PJ sells the reality of the situation in a journalistic style where portraiture takes a more emotional artistic perspective. Yet in the end the emotional response is of equal importance to both because it is the emotional impact and response to that emotional stimulus that sells art and journalism. If the work does not connect at a social / emotional level it will simply either be ignored, dismissed or panned. A creative life filled with nothing but praise is about as satisfying as receiving a trophy for loosing.
Old 02-18-2014   #95
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Deal View Post
A creative life filled with nothing but praise is about as satisfying as receiving a trophy for losing.
I love this quote. I just might have to borrow it from time to time

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: