Subcribe or not to Subscribe
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Subcribe or not to Subscribe

There are about a thousand Photo related magazines that range from Outdoor Photographer to American Photo. I've had all sorts of mags in the past most of which are rather elementary or uninteresting :-\. I like PDN but I get that at work...

Any suggestions?

jwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 46
Default Re: Subcribe or not to Subscribe

Outdoor Photographer

American Cinematographer (last one vid related but good)
Walter Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 46

Tip: go to Magazines.com and get many of them!

You get great sub prices there.

I have mags streaming into my residence.
Walter Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2683
Editing OK?: Ask first

I just find that the constant stream of information gets overwhelming. Depending on what it is you do, want to do, and are interested in, the following magazines, in my opinion, offer the best of art, business, and wonky film and equipment reviews. PDN (Photo District News) is kind of the bible as far as photography business, and advice goes. At least if you're on the east coast or west coast, and hooked into the business. Even if you're not, it is still full of valuable information, and profiles of very very talented photographers. The other magazine that I love for photography, equipment & film reviews, and all around industry-related stuff is American Photo. it is a high-profile enough magazine to attract high-profile photogs, photo editors, and other industry heavy-weights to write articles which inform, and advise.

I don't read many magazines just because there is, as I mentioned, SO much information, opinion, and photographic zeitgeist that it becomes more than I want or need. but the two that I mentioned are my favorites.
bevilaquafoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 40

Thanks. I just ordered American Photo. The other one they didn't have.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #6
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0t
I recently subscribed to American Photographer, too. It is published bimonthly so you'll only receive 6 issues per year. Therefore it won't overwhelm your "information stream".*
Ya, I've had a subscription before. My girlfriend always asks "what's with the pretty girls on the front?"
Old 08-02-2005   #7
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwind
Ya, I've had a subscription before. My girlfriend always asks "what's with the pretty girls on the front?"
I've only received two issues so far and neither had a cover girl. One has a closeup of an eye. The latest has a photo of the Nikon D2x.
I'm sure your right. My subscription has long since expired...
Old 08-02-2005   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 398383

Save your money. Many of these magazines are available from a good public library.

The influence of a well-balanced, well-ordered life is of inestimable value. . . . E.G. White
Kevin Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: