JPEG in relation to TIFF files
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 59
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default JPEG in relation to TIFF files

Hello....

I just got this response in an email in regards to file size and I didn't know this and would like to know how is this possible?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [] a 1-2 meg JPG file for your slides that usually
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *represents a 17 to 20 meg TIF file. ]

Michele

Old 08-01-2005   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 40
Default Re: JPEG in relation to TIFF files

Open a jpg in PhotoShop and then look at the status bar to the left. You'll see the corresponding file size.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 11755

Quote:
I just got this response in an email in regards to file size and I didn't know this and would like to know how is this possible?
Hi Michelle,

When a photo is made into a JPEG format it is highly compressed for storage. Whenever it's displayed on your screen or loaded into memory of your computer to be read it is automatically uncompressed back to the full original uncompressed size until saved back to media (hard disk, floppy disk, CD, DVD, Tape, etc.) at which time it is recompressed. The amount of compression applied depends on settings you have chosen so the the same JPG file could be variously 1.6 meg to 8 meg or so in "compressed" size.

TIFF formats are either compressed or uncompressed. Most commonly they are uncompressed and they may be either 8 bit or 16 bit files. This means that it's quite possible for what is stored as a heavily compressed jpg to occupy easly 10 or even 15 times as much memory when uncompressed for viewing or printing, etc. It's only "compressed" for storage. The higher the compression the more "loss" there is in image quality.

Lin

Lin
http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #4
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

http://www.digitalmemoriesonline.net...eg_vs_tiff.htm
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #5
Dromedary

Thank you all for your help.. I understand now.. I usually save all my images at 16bit and in TIFF format chosing the none for compression. Very little jpeg.. Only for low res files when needed and website usage. So if I save at a 12 MAXIMUM for jpeg, is that a large TIFF once uncompressed? Is that how it works?

Thank you again..
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #6
Dromedary

then your next best choice for immediate delivery would be a JPEG with the least possible compression (largest file size).

Thank you for clarifying that... My Canon Rebel when shooting in RAW it also has a jpeg for viewing but with my Canon 20D, I have a choice of just shooting and only have a RAW file or I can add a jpeg file to the RAW as well. I just use the RAW alone without the jpeg, that way I can shoot a few more images on a card.

Michele

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: