Camels - a slice of life...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2005   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Camels - a slice of life...

Having lived in Pakistan and vacationed in Afghanistan (late '50's) I find myself chuckling at the choice of camel references. If you only knew what dirty, smelly, disagreeable animals they are!

My first encounter with a camel was driving into Peshawar to do our shopping in 1959 - we lived in Warsak Colony. Typically we drove 50-60 mph which was about all that anyone in their right mind would do under ideal circumstances. I noticed a camel caravan on the left side of the road. The Pathans were taking a rest and were strung out alongside the road for perhaps a 1/4 mile - limited by the road and the sugar cane field. I was doing about 55mph when I noticed 2 Pathans on the right side of the road trying to hold onto the halter of an obviously male camel...it was protesting loudly and dragging them behind as they shouted and tried to maintain their footing - unsuccessfully too. As the camel gathered speed running parallel to the road on my right the fleeting thought of slowing down crossed my mind, but not quickly enough for me to react on. With one mighty stride, twisting turn and a surprising leap the camel jumped across the hood of my car with its hind feet just barely missing my windshield and "something else" just barely missing grazing the hood! The two handlers had let go at the last minute and were rolling in the dusty drainage ditch. I hit the brakes and came to a stop. We all looked behind to see what had happened. The Pathans, about 20 in number, were all yelling and laughing. The obviously male camel had risked its life jumping over our car to have an encounter with an obviously female camel on the other side of the road. Once the shock of just missing the beast wore off, we all joined the Pathans in a good hearty laugh - to which the "enjoined and engaged" camels paid no attention to...

I should add that camels rarely look "good" as their coats come off in ragged splotches. If they don't like you, they'll spit at you - your face being the usual target. Other signs of discontent are a very loud, definately non-melodious, drawn-out bellow. They bite too. They'll also deficate and urinate in your direction if they don't care for your presence. Smell? Certainly not something that one would choose to be around on this side of the Atlantic under normal circumstances, and then they also kick. Add to that a face that only another camel could love, and you have the mascot for this forum lol...well chosen...lol.

Cliff.

Old 07-31-2005   #2
lauriet

CamelKarma:
Default Re: Ireverent request thought

LOL. THis is so funny.
Old 08-01-2005   #3
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Camels - a slice of life...

I once did the trip around the Pyramids in Cheops, perched on top of a camel. Stunning scenery, but most of the time was spent trying to prevent camel number 2 from treating my legs as a delicacy (English legs are sought after amongst camels due to the rarity of seeing such thing in sunlight).

Smelly and hairy are the words that spring to mind when I think of camels (which is not very often...).

Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #4
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

Well in the context of this board a camel is obviously an astute and erudite animal (although the site logo makes me think of a spaced out hippy ).
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12

PhotoLlama and PhotoAlpaca were already taken.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
PhotoLlama and PhotoAlpaca were already taken.
LOL

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: