DIY book binding
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2005   #1
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default DIY book binding

Does anyone have any tips/advice in making your own 'professional looking' books? I recently used the Apple service via iPhoto which resulted in quite a nicely presented book of photos, although I wasn't too impressed with the image quality (seems to be quite a low resolution). I'd like to create the pages and print them myself, and end up with a bound volume that will hopefully be of much higher quality (resolution-wise).

I've done some googling and there do seem to be kits available, but I wondered if any of you recommend one method/product over another. I also presume that particular paper is needed (the Apple paper was quite thin and like a high-quality glossy magazine).

Old 07-28-2005   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 40
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: DIY book binding

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul
Does anyone have any tips/advice in making your own 'professional looking' books? I recently used the Apple service via iPhoto which resulted in quite a nicely presented book of photos, although I wasn't too impressed with the image quality (seems to be quite a low resolution). I'd like to create the pages and print them myself, and end up with a bound volume that will hopefully be of much higher quality (resolution-wise).

I've done some googling and there do seem to be kits available, but I wondered if any of you recommend one method/product over another.* I also presume that particular paper is needed (the Apple paper was quite thin and like a high-quality glossy magazine).
I'd like to know about this myself.

Ha! Cute avatar!

Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079

Why not print them yourself then take them to a office supply shop that does binding?

I know that we have Office Supply stores here in Texas that do the binding.
Old 07-28-2005   #4
senses working overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbymorgan2
Why not print them yourself then take them to a office supply shop that does binding?

I know that we have Office Supply stores here in Texas that do the binding.
True, but I'd like to do it myself - it's my control freakery nature, and I'm thinking more of the hand bound qualities that one could achieve by doing it yourself.

I see it a bit like basket weaving, fairly pointless but mostly harmless :-*

I have found a number of sites that show the binding processes, but none that are directly related to photography (i.e. recommended papers, bindings etc). I think I'll grab a book off Amazon and just dive in :P
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11

I bound several books as Christmas gifts one year (http://www.danandsherree.com/2003/08...project_al.php). They look handmade and were a lot of work. Getting the binding tight was very difficult, and now a few years later, is quite loose. I'm not sure what I could have done to make it tighter--different paper and alonger "clamp and set" time might have helped, I don't know.

That said, I recommend trying it. It was a very rewarding process!

Dan
danwolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #6
senses working overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwolfgang
I bound several books as Christmas gifts one year (http://www.danandsherree.com/2003/08...project_al.php). They look handmade and were a lot of work. Getting the binding tight was very difficult, and now a few years later, is quite loose. I'm not sure what I could have done to make it tighter--different paper and alonger "clamp and set" time might have helped, I don't know.

That said, I recommend trying it. It was a very rewarding process!

Dan
Dan, thanks for that - I found your link facinating. At least I know I'm not ploughing a lonely furrow I also downloaded the PDF version of your book - it's obvious a lot of time and effort was spent on it - the quality really shines though.

Paul

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: