Gallery Exhibit Competition
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2005   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 59
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Gallery Exhibit Competition

Hello....

A friend of mine sent me an email about a Gallery in Northern California that is holding an Annual Exhibit Show Competition this fall. She is thinking of entering and asked me if I knew any of the info she is confused about. I don't have a clue, so I am posting it here as others might want to know as well. I do hope though, that someone here can help her out.

First off... They accept only three slides per art exhibitor for consideration. They accept digital images but say only submit slides. Does this mean she needs to get her digital images transfered into slides as I have heard that can be done? Any important issues on that (digital turn to slides)?

Next.... on the entry form, it has

Entry #1 Title,

(2-D) Size ___ x ___? What does that mean (2-D)?...

(3-D) ___x___x___ Wt __ lbs. ___ What does that mean? (3-D)?...

Medium ____________________ Price $$$ I am guessing that Medium is how the image was produced. Price
we know what that means.

Thanks... Michele

Old 07-29-2005   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 80
Default Re: Gallery Exhibit Competition

To get slides, her best bet might be to print out the pictures to the size she intends to have submitted.* Then, what my mom and I do (I have done photographs that were done on film but not slides and she does paintings only) is take our stuff to a photographer we have found who takes pictures of artwork specifically to turn them into slides.* Sure, she could probably do it herself, but it is just easier to have someone else do it I think instead of going out and getting the slides to shoot on and all that.*

Be sure she knows not to adjust the pictures once the slides have been taken.* They will not smile on the work being different than what was accepted if her stuff is accepted.

The 2D as said above is for 2 dimensional art and 3D for sculptures and such.* It would typically refer to the outside measurements because they need to plan how much space they need for objects that are accepted.

The price...make sure she gets it matted and framed before she decides how much she's going to charge for it.* A simple black frame is always best.* Aaron Brother's is great if she has one in her area...they often have a buy one get one for a penny sale.* A plain white outer matte with a plain black inner matte is almost always best, but of course the picture will dictate that a bit...just don't go gaudy or people will wonder why she's trying to distract them from the picture.* The reason she'll want to have it matted and framed first is matting can be very expensive unless she has access to a matte cutter.* For instance, I had to have a double matte custom cut for 2 photographs of mine.* They weren't 8x10 or 8x12 because I realized I wanted to come in a teensy bit more on the sides with the matte to hide a bit more of my eldest's left (his left, our right) eye, and have the same size matte for my youngest's picture.
and
That cost me $36.00 per picture and they were cheap mattes.* I could have done it for less than $5.00 per picture if I'd done it myself...which I do now.* If she is just doing an 8x10 or something, that is easier and cheaper unless she doesn't like what is available pre-cut.* Oh, and she needs to make sure that the slide she sends in shows what she will be showing of the picture...since the picture printed out would be an 8x12, those 2 inches can really change a picture.* She also needs to take into consideration how much commission may be detracted from her pictures.* When I don't have to pay any commission, and I got the frames cheaply and the mattes are ones I cut, I charge $50.00 for an 8x10 in a 16x20 frame...double matted.* I am probably cheaper than many, but I don't want to scare people off from buying since I need the money to be able to get up and going with my NPO.

Sara
Old 07-29-2005   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 59

Thank you Sara for your detailed comment and recommendations. I forwarded your comment to my friend..

How is the quality if you send a digital image to a lab that will turn the photo from digital into a slide? Do you know? Is that a good thing to do?

Michele
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 80

I've never done it that way.* My guess is that to turn it into a slide they would actually have to print it out and then photograph it...but I have no clue.* I would feel more comfortable printing it out myself so I knew it had the colour balance and exact look I wanted first, and then just give the print out to them.*

Good luck to her.* Oh, but be sure to warn her.* Many in the whole of the art community don't much feel that photography is art.* I was in a black white and grey show and was the ONLY photographer to win anything (got an honourable mention is all, but hey...free framing coupons are a great prize anytime!).* Photography isn't considered to be on the same level as painting or sculpture because it is too mechanical for many artists and they don't understand that there is art involved, not just pushing a button.* So many artists use projection when they paint (I don't...think it is cheating) and forget that the photograph has just as much of an artistic quality to it as their exact copy of it in paint does.* It doesn't make sense to me why they think essentially tracing a photograph and doing paint by numbers is more art than what the photographer did to create the original, but they do.* Shows with only photography are a little less difficult on your ego sometimes though.* *

Sara

ellette is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: