Filters, Step-Up Rings?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Filters, Step-Up Rings?

Hi all.

I'm looking at buying a three stop ND filter. As of right now, all of my lenses have 67mm threads, but I was thinking to buy the ND at 77mm with a step up ring for future-proofing. Any reason I should avoid the step-up ring? I am already using 67mm haze filters prophylactically.

Also, are the Tiffen NDs alright IQ-wise? I'd really hate to shell out for a B&W.

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2008   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Filters, Step-Up Rings?

Nope, that is what I do. Make sure you get a quality step ring, as cheaper ones can bind. For ND filters, I use the larger square/rectangular filters from Hitech and Lee's, but the Tiffen round screw in types should be fine.
Old 04-02-2008   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Less expensive but more trouble...

Using one filter to cover the largest size lens you have and then using step-down adapters to fit that larger size filter to any additional lenses is an economical solution to an extremely expensive top-line filter for each lens.

IMO, the problem with using a single filter for all my lenses is that if I wanted to swap lenses, I also need to swap filters which makes the switch more cumbersome. Since I use at least two bodies all the time, the question for me is moot.

However, if you definitely intend to purchase a lens that takes a 77mm filter, buying that size and using it for your 67mm lens would be one way to go. If after you get the lens that requires a 77mm filter and you don't like swapping filters when changing lenses, you could always purchase a 67mm filter and have lost nothing but the price of the step-down adapter and they are relatively inexpensive.

One additional problem which might or might not impact your using the 77mm filter + adapter on the 67mm lens is that you may not be able to use the hood which is supplied with the lens because the hood may physically not fit around the 77mm filter. You can only tell if this is a problem by trying to fit the hood onto the lens when the 77mm filter and adapter is mounted or by talking to someone who uses a 77mm filter + adapter with your type lens. If it is a problem, this can easily be remedied by using a screw-in 77mm hood in lieu of the OEM hood but, that is simply another expense and an additional piece of equipment to store, carry and lose.

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Filters, Step-Up Rings?

Thanks guys.

Anybody know if the hood on a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 will accommodate a 77mm step up ring? That's the 77mm lens I plan on buying in the not-so-distant future. How 'bout a Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR? I have that lens, but I bought it used without a hood, so no hood (yet).

Now that I'm thinking about it, is using a hood on a super-wide lens like that all that necessary? It has an enormous view angle; therefore, there are less angles for contra light to come from, right?
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default One more thing to discover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David French View Post
Thanks guys.

Anybody know if the hood on a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 will accommodate a 77mm step up ring? That's the 77mm lens I plan on buying in the not-so-distant future. How 'bout a Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR? I have that lens, but I bought it used without a hood, so no hood (yet).

Now that I'm thinking about it, is using a hood on a super-wide lens like that all that necessary? It has an enormous view angle; therefore, there are less angles for contra light to come from, right?
Try to determine if the step ring, which protrudes out will vignette your 10-20mm lens at its widest settings.

Additionally, I recommend a hood for all photography. That is a necessary piece of equipment for me whether I am using a wide or tele lens or any lens in between.

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: