Tripod Recommendation? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Tripod Recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David French View Post
Thanks a bunch for the input guys. Those are some awesome looking tools, but I simply can't afford them at this point.

What do you all think of this one? Looks promising to me, but I'm not sure if it's going to be significantly better than the other cheaper light compact tripods out there. It says it supports 1 kg, but a D80 + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 weighs 1.3 kg (on the pod most often), and a D80 with a Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-56 VR (on the pod much less) weighs 1.6 kg. Is this close enough, or am I heading for trouble?
Way too light. Look for something that supports 6-10 lbs. I would consider that a light tripod.
Old 04-03-2008   #12
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

Damn. Looks like I am not going to be able to afford the proper tools in time for this trip as I can only budget around $100 for this. I really don't want to lug that enormous thing of mine around, and I'm not sure how to get it there anyway. I'm traveling internationally. It wont' fit in my luggage bags. Can it go as its own bag? it's about 30" / 75 cm long. Can I take it as a carry on? I already have my laptop and my camera bag. Can you tell I'm a first time traveler?

I know this sounds bad, but what about just buying some total POS just because it's cheap, small, and light? I think that oddly I might be better off that way. Suggestions?
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

How about a monopod? A good one can be had for under $100.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #14
Alpaca

Good idea, but I have to have the tripod for long exposures, HDR, etc.

I found my likely POS choice: 620050 Sunpak Fieldmaster Black Tripod with Ball Head & Pan Head
Meets all my requirements and can be had for under $40.
Old 04-03-2008   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Not bad. 8+ lbs is more like it. If the choice is something cheap and easy or nothing at all, then I vote for cheap and easy. Hang your camera bag from that hook on the bottom of the center post for added stability.
Old 04-03-2008   #16
Alpaca

Thanks for keeping me on track. Here's some more Karma to add to your massive pile.
Old 04-04-2008   #17
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

david, by now you have been given so many ideas your head is spinning or you have given up hope for the simple answer. so ill give you some advise that is always right.

a good tripod has 3 legs, a tripod with 2 legs is called a bipod and a tripod with 4 legs is called a quadpod. so look for one with 3 legs, they work pretty good.

all fun aside; ritz camera has some decent ones for a quick fix. i bought this as a spare and for my daughter to use. it holds my s2 and sigma 70-300 pretty stout like.

Quantaray QSX-DigiPro 8500 Tripod - 29-166-0710 - RitzCamera.com

this bogen is not bad, but you will need a head. good cheap heads are on ebay from a company called amvona.
Bogen 190XDB Aluminum Tripod (Black) - 190XDB - RitzCamera.com

Kenko MC7 2X, Pro 300
Nkkor 50 1.8 70-300VR
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: