Good card reader? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Good card reader?

Quote:
I suppose if you were going to transfer a hundred files, the 5 second difference might be important.
Or in my case, a thousand... =)
Old 04-04-2008   #12
Loa
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 155
Editing OK?: Yes

Update: I decided to try the cheapest (20$) USB 2.0 reader I could find.

Results: Exactly 13 times faster than by plugging the D70 camera directly in the computer.

Could I have gotten even faster results with a 60$ reader? Sure. Would it have warranted another 40$? Certainly not for me...

Loa

My Humble Gallery
Loa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 97789
Editing OK?: Ask First

Glad you are happy with your purchase. I couldn't believe how much faster a card reader was compared to just plugging the camera in to the pc...wow!!
stoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #14
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

I'll go with the flow and highly recommend the SanDisk firewire reader. Much faster than any USB reader I've used previously.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

I use a Sandisk multi card reader. That or the CF only version I think would work fine for you.
potato1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #16
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 79
Editing OK?: Ask first

Loa, I'm glad you're happy with your card reader. Any card reader is better than plugging in the camera, even if the speed was the same: no chance of sending the camera to the floor when you snag the wire that's draped across everything else, and no chance of data loss if you lose battery power, open the card door, or any other camera-induced malfunction.

I use the Sandisk Extreme IV Firewire CF reader that's already been mentioned a couple of times. Its permanently taped to the bottom of my desk so that the cables are tucked away and it's nicely accessible. Besides speed, the advantage that FW gives me over USB is better management. All of my external drives are firewire, so the card reader is daisy-chained through the external RAID that holds my working images through a FW800 connection. That frees up my USB ports for their intended uses, like keyboard, trackball, and printers.

I do also have a USB2.0 multireader for when I need to download from my xD cards, and to be able to read any other cards that guests bring over. I just tried both readers in a speed test with two different cards:

Sandisk FW reader, Kingston 133x card, 744MB, 1 minute and 2 seconds. (12MB/second)
Comgears USB2.0 reader, Kingston 133x card, 744MB, 4 minutes and 42 seconds. (2.64MB/second)

Sandisk FW reader, Sandisk Extreme 3 card, 1.13GB, 1 minute and 51 seconds. (10.18MB/second)
Comgears USB2.0 reader, Sandisk Extreme 3 card, 1.13GB, 7 minutes and 18 seconds. (2.58MB/second)

The firewire reader was daisy-chained to the computer through my RAID drive and uses the FW800 port, the USB card was connected directly to the computer through a USB 2.0 port. The computer is a 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.4GHz Core Duo with 2GB of RAM, and files were copied to the internal (sata) drive. I was surprised at the spanking the FW reader gave the USB 2.0 reader, so I've even go so far as to confirm (system profiler application) that the USB is working at 480MB/s and the FW is at 800MB/s. While I never just drag-and-drop photos to my internal drive -- Lightroom converts them to DNG and backs up the originals to a second FW400 drive straight from the card -- I can't see how this speed difference wouldn't be important in real-world use.
Old 04-05-2008   #17
Jon
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 56
Editing OK?: No

What Matthew Said. My firewire card reader (an older Lexar unit) spanks the bejeezus out of any usb2 reader you want to put it up against.

Firewire will beat USB in continuous throughput - every time. If you have a bunch of cards, or a bunch of big cards to dump all at once, you can't beat the aggregate time saved with firewire.
Old 04-05-2008   #18
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

I have tried many, many card readers. All of the external ones have given me issues.

I settled on these:

Customer Reviews Of SUPER TALENT INT-AIN1-C All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader - Retail

They are internal and read every time without a hitch. Finally I can forget about whether my card reader is going to work on a given day.
Old 04-05-2008   #19
Loa
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 155

Thanks for the added suggestions (for other members).

I would have loved to get a FW reader as well. But for 20$, my little Vantec reader will do just fine.

The time differences are indeed remarkable (though not surprising for any Mac users: FW owns!) Matthew. But I only bought this reader so that I can keep shooting on a second card while uploading the first. I really didn't mind the time it took on the USB 1.0 link... Just some time to go to the bathroom, fix a snack, read up on some news, catch up on my emails...

For 20$, this little 11-in-1 reader was perfect for me.

Loa

My Humble Gallery
Loa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #20
Llama

CamelKarma: 1050

i use the sandisk extreme card reader usb 2.0 fast transfer holds both compact flash and sd memory cards so perfect for my canons. Best part is its only 10 at mymemory.com

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: