Going To Utah!! - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31177
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Going To Utah!!

Oh man your making me excited!!!

Cant wait to get out there!!
Garren
What if everything around you, Isn't quite as it seems? What if all the world you used to know, Is an elaborate dream? And if you look at your reflection, Is it all you want it to be? What if you could look right through the cracks, Would you find yourself, Find yourself afraid to see? ~Trent Reznor~

My Website
My Gallery
My Blog
Garren
garrentee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 179
Editing OK?: Ask first

I am headed in the same direction the third week of June. Mainly Canyonlands and Arches. I'm staying in Moab. Those two seem the best place to start and maybe plan another trip next year. Of course, planning on possibly South Dacota and definately Wyoming and Colorado stops. We are driving to and from.

I've ordered about every tourist book and pamplet the areas put out and book marked a number of web pages. The best things are the maps. I would suggest just searching the areas you are interested in on Google and you will find different things popping up telling you about some off tourist areas and others trip highlites.

I have already realized that it would take a few months to shoot the beauty with the right angles of light on each area so i am trying to just plan the best areas for a few mornings and evenings. You can't get it all.
Old 03-27-2008   #13
Llama

CamelKarma: 12368
Editing OK?: Yes

I highly recommend "Photographing the southwest" by Laurent Martres. Of course he's got the recipes for the usual shots that everybody takes (e.g. Mesa Arch in the morning sunrise glow, and that kind of thing), but more usefully he's got a lot of suggestions for interesting places where you can go do your own scouting, often with information about the surrounding landscape that would be of interest to photographers (e.g. "this area has a big ridge to the west, which blocks late afternoon & sunset light, so you're better off shooting here in the morning").

Amazon.com: Photographing the Southwest: A Guide to the Natural Landmarks of Southern Utah & Southwest Colorado: Laurent Martres: Books

My most memorable trip through Canyonlands was driving the jeep road from Potash Rd (which leaves Moab) up to one of the overlooks. Just follow the Potash rd until it goes past the evaporation ponds and enters Canyonlands, it's about 50 or 60 kilometers of rough road. You'll need 4WD, but if you're smart about it you won't need anything fancy like a lifted jeep or anything - I managed to drive it in a ridiculous luxury AWD minivan / station-wagon / SUV thing (Chrysler Pacifica, don't tell the rental agency ). You probably wouldn't make it through in a compact car, though I did see a guy in a camper driving it, so who knows.

I just remembered, it's called Schaeffer Road, and it's marked in google maps ("S fork road, County Road 142):

potash road moab - Google Maps

The last part is steep narrow switchbacks up a canyon wall and is a serious thrill to make your way up:

potash road moab - Google Maps

The Pacifica barely had enough power to handle the steep parts, and there was a lot of getting out of the car to survey the road, figure out which rocks to get the wheels on, moving rocks to fill in holes, etc, but it was doable. And the silence and isolation was the most amazing thing I've ever experienced. This was in February - the off season. It's probably full of people in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrentee View Post
Heading to Utah in april for two weeks to do the fab five national parks...Zion, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon, Arches and Capitol Reef...we are flyin to vegas and then driving up to utah...I know roughly where I wanna go but am looking for advice on whereto be for the best photography experience in most of these parks?

Any thoughts!!?
Garren
walter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #14
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31177
Editing OK?: Ask First

Fastpitch, thanks so much!!

Walter...huge helpfull hints!! Thanks so much!!

Garren

What if everything around you, Isn't quite as it seems? What if all the world you used to know, Is an elaborate dream? And if you look at your reflection, Is it all you want it to be? What if you could look right through the cracks, Would you find yourself, Find yourself afraid to see? ~Trent Reznor~

My Website
My Gallery
My Blog
Garren
garrentee is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: