very wide or tele zoom?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2236
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default very wide or tele zoom?

This year I'm going for 4 weeks to Norway and Sweden and will also visit Danmark for a day or 2. (Especially for the famous Oresund bridge)
I will visit the southern fjords in Norway but I will also visit the island of Runde to shoot a lot of birds especially the puffin. I will also visit a lot of national parks in both Sweden and Norway to shoot some wildlife (Deer, Lynx and bever and maybe some wolfs but those are very rare where I go)

Here is the dilemma I have around $1000 (Ä500) to spare on a new lens.
My current lens setup ranges from 18mm to a staggering 200mm.
As you can see I need both more wide and tele hence the dilemma.

Where would you spend your Ä1000 on and why?
Below are some models I'm checking out.

Very Tele
Sigma | 50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX DG AF Lens for Pentax AF | 736109
Sigma | 70-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG Aspherical AF Lens | 734109

Very Wide
Sigma | 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 AF Lens | 200109 | B&H Photo Video

Old 03-22-2008   #2
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 55
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: very wide or tele zoom?

I'd go for the Sigma 50-500mm, but then I'm a wildlife nut.
Alfred D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Just to be clear so others know for sure, you do want something for a Pentax.

Based on what you wrote, you seem to want to shoot more of the "critters" (Deer, Lynx, Beaver, Puffin, etc) than you do majestic landscapes....

You can't go with a tele-extender because your 200mm is already at 5.6, unless you go manual focus. A quick look at KEH shows a nice excellent condition Pentax 300mm f/4 SMC manual focus for only $399. That would be a good place to start....? A Sigma 15-30 f/2.8-4 AF lens is there for $275. A pretty good set for your collection that gets you more on both ends...?

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

When I was in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, a 12-24mm was my most used lens, but the purpose of the trip wasn't expressly photographic, so I wasn't carrying much. Your 18-55mm would probably be more than adequate, because I was shooting at 20-24mm most of the time.
Old 03-23-2008   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2236
Editing OK?: Yes

Mr. Pickles from what I understand and what I found out with my other lenses is that manual focus is not that easy actually its very hard. My subjects are prone to be small and fast moving that would make manual focusing even harder. But that lens you recommend is very very tempting and I've read good reviews and saw good pictures from it on the internet however I could not find that lens at Keh.
Would it be possible to post a link? And if I bought a 2x extender from sigma or kenko maybe even pentax what F-stop would that throw me back? 2 stops? that would give me 600mm F/6.3?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: