Lens Fungus
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 15
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lens Fungus

What causes fungus to grow inside lenses and how do you avoid it? Can anything be done once it is there?
I have a collection of antique cameras, some have it and some do not. Just curious

Lots of Sonys
markwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 32
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Lens Fungus

One tip I read was to zoom your lenses in and out periodically while they're drying on a shelf after using them in wet/humid conditions to help clear out moist air. Some of my oly lenses are supposed to be weatherproof but I still wonder about the wisdom of using them in the rain or snow (in terms of potentially developing fungus from the moisture). Maybe better to get a totally sealed p&s for wet conditions?

I also read you're supposed to seal your camera in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out before bringing it in from the cold so that condensation will form on the outside of the bag and not your camera but I haven't tried that.

I also read that if you put dessicant in your lens case it can do more harm than good once it has absorbed all the moisture it can because then it will start to act like a wet sponge in your bag. Also don't leave gear inside tightly sealed bags and avoid leather.

Many of the used lens postings on ebay now mention whether fungus has been detected.

http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/photo/fungus/

hartcons is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: