Camera Bags, Which one do you find is a great buy?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Camera Bags, Which one do you find is a great buy?

Most of us use a camera bag to carry around our extra lenses and accessories. Which camera bas do you all find are the better ones to have?

I have a Backpack Camera bag and a Tamrac Camera bag (Model # unknown at this time)

photosbymorgan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 40
Default Re: Camera Bags, Which one do you find is a great buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbymorgan2
Most of us use a camera bag to carry around our extra lenses and accessories. Which camera bas do you all find are the better ones to have?

I have a Backpack Camera bag and a Tamrac Camera bag (Model # unknown at this time)

One camera bag? Not a chance. There's no perfect camera bag, IMO, so I probaby have four, not counting holsters, etc.

The overall best bag, though, IMO, is the LowePro Mini Trekker. Great combination of weight (light) and capacity.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 80

For carrying a backpack style bag I love my Kata R-103.

d2creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #4
Llama

That's a nice looking bag. Looks to be spec'd out similar to the Mini Trekker. More paddding, tho.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Morrison
More paddding, tho.
It's built like a tank. I'd throw it off the roof of my house full of gear. (My gear is insured though, just incase. )
Seriously though, it's water resistent, heat/cold resistent, strong, comfortable, great interior padding, great exoskeleton, nice and bright inside, accepts all kinds of attachements including the tripod holder it comes with and the camera strap to take the wieght off your neck and onto the shoulder pads, and holds up to a 15" laptop in the back (but i plan on using that area for papers/magazines while traveling.)
Only negative is the bag itself is a little heavy weighing in at 3.5 lbs empty.

I would like to pick up an non-camera bag looking shoulder bag to hold just the camera and two lenses for croweded situations or when i just don't want to carry everything. Like a Crumpler maybe.
d2creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 15

I bought the Lowepro Mini Trekker AW. Its very sturdy, well padded, holds an amazing amount of equipment (all listed below), and really comfortable to wear. Best 110 Ive spent in a long time.

Trev
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 34

There are some great deals on MiniTrekkers on ebay. I found one brand new there for $55.
AlbertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 65

I've also got a collection of bags over the years. I started with Domke bags, which I like a lot for shoulder bags, but the bigger bags hold a lot more than I like carring on my shoulder for hours at a time. I got a smaller one to cut down what I carry but then as I added equipment, I outgrew it.

Then I started hiking along trails to get to waterfalls and other scenic places and a shoulder bag didn't work very well. So I bought my first LowePro Photo Trekker AW backpack. I can get everything (and more) of what I think I'll need in there and have used it on 5 mile+ hikes. I made the mistake of weighting it once... it hit the scales at 35 pounds... without the tripod attached. Usually when I get up a trail I've got my camera and a lens on the tripod and I'm carring that in my hands so I can stop and shoot. Since I'm not as young or as in shape as a lot of people, after a few miles of some of the trails around here, I'm starting to get a bit winded and I find that the thought of taking the pack off to change lenses and then putting it back on does not seem like that great of an idea. So I usually don't. Plus when I stop for very long my body heat starts to fog up my glasses really bad and I can't see anyway... good thing for auto focus.

So, I decided that I really needed a belt pack. This way I could have the bag on my waist and have a lens or two and some other things handy for me to swap out... even if I did have the pack pack with me. So I got the LowePro Off Trail 2. Nice bag, good fit and worked the way I wanted. The only problem was I couldn't put a lot of stuff in it. It had one main area that I could put my 10D and either the 24-70 2.8L with lens hood extended in or the 10D and 70-200 2.8L with the lens hood reversed. I could just barely fit the 24-70 2.8L in one of the side compartments but not the 70-200 or my 100-400. The other compartment I used to carry batteries, rag, memory cards, etc. But it still wasn't what I was really looking for.

Next I bought the LowePro Orion AW. (yes, I like LowePro). This is a much bigger belt pack and more what I had in mind (why didn't I get it first?). It had a single big compartment that was configurable. I could put my 10D with either lens on it and still have room for the other lens and lots of other stuff. I still couldn't fit my 100-400 in with it all, but I carry that in it's on case on my belt anyway. This bag looks like I would have been satisfied for awhile, except... Well, at the same time, I upgraded from the 10D to the 1DMKII, which is a LOT bigger than the 10D. The 1DM2 will still fit in there with a lens on, but it takes up about 2/3rds of the room and I can't get as much other stuff in there as I'd like. This will be a bag that I'll carry stuff in to get where I'm going, and then once I put the camera around my neck, I'll have room to put other stuff in there from another bag and carry it all together. What I like about the Orion is that it is a waiste belt as well as a shoulder belt at the same time. So my waiste is carring most of the weight but the shoulder strap snugs it up against me and helps keep it from sagging without me tighting up the waiste belt real tight. I think this is about as big a waiste pack as I would get as well. Much bigger and it just wouldn't work very well full. But so far it has worked real well.

I also buy all of my LowePro through two e-bay stores that are in Canada. Their prices for new bags are a lot cheaper than my usual source, which is B&H. And even coming from Canada it gets to me only about one more day longer than coming from B&H.

Will I stop looking for the perfect bag? No. I know the bag is out there... I just have to find it.

Mike
Old 07-27-2005   #9
KW
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11

Just a suggestion for those who like to think outside the box.* I've been a photojournalist for over 20 years and the best bag/accessory I've ever bought was a large Igloo cooler that I put my camera bag in when I left it in the car.

No one ever tries to steal your lunch, unlike that beautiful LowePro bag.

I also use padded insulated lunch bags to store a camera or lens in a regular Jansport backpack.* They have nice padding and turn any backpack into a photo pack.

Lastly, those waist bags they sell for hikers with the water bottle holder--that water bottle space holds a Nikon 180mm 2.8 or 300mm f4 just fine.* The pockets are great for accessories.

Kenneth
http://kennethwajda.com

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #10
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW
Just a suggestion for those who like to think outside the box.* I've been a photojournalist for over 20 years and the best bag/accessory I've ever bought was a large Igloo cooler that I put my camera bag in when I left it in the car.

No one ever tries to steal your lunch, unlike that beautiful LowePro bag.

I also use padded insulated lunch bags to store a camera or lens in a regular Jansport backpack.* They have nice padding and turn any backpack into a photo pack.

Lastly, those waist bags they sell for hikers with the water bottle holder--that water bottle space holds a Nikon 180mm 2.8 or 300mm f4 just fine.* The pockets are great for accessories.

Kenneth
http://kennethwajda.com

Yup, great suggestion. I'm always hunting for bags in general that will work for photo stuff.

I've used my LowePro MiniTrekker to store clothes in,though, during trips to Europe. It's been great.

Would have been funny if someone had stolen that and opened it up to a bunch of dirty underclothes!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: