Camera Bags, Which one do you find is a great buy? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2005   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Camera Bags, Which one do you find is a great buy?

I have quite a few bags that I use, too. My current bag is a Domke Bug Bag 20. I've been using it for 2 years or so, and Domke apparently doesn't make them anymore. It fits my Canon 20D, 17-85, 70-300, 580EX, and accessories well.

I also like using a small Quantaray (Ritz Camera-brand) triangular bag, just big enough for the camera and lens.

After using a LowePro Photo Trekker backpack for a while, I decided I don't like it. It just doesn't facilitate quick enough access to the equipment.

I'm always on the lookout for a new bag. I'm thinking it'd be good to have another bag for my other flashes, cords, umbrellas, and other doo-dads, but I haven't found one yet.

And another bag I really like is the Bogen tripod bag I keep the tripod in.

Dan
danwolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #12
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 34

What I really want is less equipment and just one bag.

But I can't seem to make that happen.

:
AlbertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #13
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertP
What I really want it less equipment and just one bag.

But I can't seem to make that happen.

:
well I can help you out. You just mail me most of your equipment and you will only need one bag.
Old 07-27-2005   #14
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 34

I saw that coming.

AlbertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #15
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 14

Definitely need a choice a bags depending what is needed for the day ... I use:
- Lowepro Nova 2 for when I'm just taking a camera, one or two lenses and maybe a flash.
- Lowepro Stealth reporter 500 for when I need more gear for a day.
- Tamrac top-loader zoom (not sure what model) for second body/lens at times.
- Lowepro computrekker plus for travelling ... takes most of my gear plus a 17" notebook.
- Several Domke pouches that I hang on a belt that I got for $4 at Home Depot. I take these whenever I have more than the Nova 2. I then leave the actual camera bag (empty) in the trunk of the car.
Old 07-28-2005   #16
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL
Definitely need a choice a bags depending what is needed for the day ... I use:
- Lowepro Nova 2 for when I'm just taking a camera, one or two lenses and maybe a flash.
- Lowepro Stealth reporter 500 for when I need more gear for a day.
- Tamrac top-loader zoom (not sure what model) for second body/lens at times.
- Lowepro computrekker plus for travelling ... takes most of my gear plus a 17" notebook.
- Several Domke pouches that I hang on a belt that I got for $4 at Home Depot. I take these whenever I have more than the Nova 2. I then leave the actual camera bag (empty) in the trunk of the car.
Don't you find it a bit of a pain though to have to move equipment from one bag to another? Also, have you ever found yourself without something because you did not move it over?
Old 07-29-2005   #17
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbymorgan2
Don't you find it a bit of a pain though to have to move equipment from one bag to another? Also, have you ever found yourself without something because you did not move it over?
1) Not really. When I'm travelling, the Stealth reporter goes in checked baggage containing only the Domke pouches and other non-fragile gear. When I go out shooting, I take the stealth reporter, with the needed lenses already in the Domke pouches. When I arrive, all I need to do is string the pouches on the belt and away we go.
2) Yes, I do occasionally leave something behind that would have been nice to have, but that's the trade-off. I have no weight on my shoulders, which I find much less tiring than actually carrying a photo bag in the field, and it's much quicker to change lenses than unloading a backpack on the ground, opening it up and then closing it again, and putting it back on.
This approach would probably not work for people who go on long (multi-day) hiking trips. I don't, at least, not so far.
Old 07-30-2005   #18
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 59

I love the igloo idea for warm days and even to fool people.. My car has dark tinted windows but still....

I am on my third lowepro backpack which I love. I started with a small one and then went another size up and now i am at another size up again. They just keep growing and growing.

Now, I am thinking of getting a second bag to use for traveling to put my laptop in along with my camera equipment instead of having a camera bag and a laptop bag. Mostly for just flying, not driving travel. I started looking the other night on ebay and the prices aren't all that bad. Just not sure what is a good laptop/camera backpack. Any suggestions?

I bought all of my bags on ebay from a Canada store as I found the prices to be much better than here in the US. I also use B&H as my main source.

Just my two cents worth..
Michele
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #19
Vicuna

Agree on the Mintrekker, great bag and very reasonably priced.

J Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: