Calibrating the meter
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2005   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Calibrating the meter

Back in my film days, I would calibrate the meter for each film speed I used, namely, 50/100. Having 2 camera bodies, each one had there own adjustment. For example, one of my cameras require the ISO to be set at 200 when I used ISO 100 film. Now that I have gone digital I don't know the best way to calibrate the meter. I can't use the ISO setting as that changes the senitivity of the sensor. What are you doing to calibrate your meter for (in my case middle tone)?

Thank you.

DigitalPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 591
Default Re: Calibrating the meter

You will need to use your Exposure Compensation settings to customize/calibrate your in-camera metering.

There has been some (sometimes heated) discussion of this over in the Adobe Camera Raw forums at
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bbb579c
and
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...@@.3bbb1172/19

JohnC
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalPhotography
Back in my film days, I would calibrate the meter for each film speed I used, namely, 50/100.* Having 2 camera bodies, each one had there own adjustment.* For example, one of my cameras require the ISO to be set at 200 when I used ISO 100 film.* Now that I have gone digital I don't know the best way to calibrate the meter.* I can't use the ISO setting as that changes the senitivity of the sensor.* What are you doing to calibrate your meter for (in my case middle tone)?

Thank you.
Are you referring to the in camera meter or a hand held meter?

I know that with my sekonic meter, I can adjust settings to get it to match the internal meter of my camera so I get more accurate settings.
Old 07-25-2005   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11

Quote:
Are you referring to the in camera meter or a hand held meter?

I know that with my sekonic meter, I can adjust settings to get it to match the internal meter of my camera so I get more accurate settings.
I am refering to the camera's meter. I use the camera's meter for most of my metering. I also calibrate by hand held meters, but I tend to use them only when shoting my MF.
Old 07-26-2005   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalPhotography
Now that I have gone digital I don't know the best way to calibrate the meter.
Wouldn't feedback from the histogram help here? You can always reshoot based upon that... or, perhaps, you could use the histogram to check a test photo on an 18% gray card, or equivalent.
Back in my film days, I used to estimate green grass to be middle gray in terms of reflectance - I found this worked well, with the possible exception of very fair skin, which was perhaps 1 stop over-exposed using this method... but knowing this, it could be accounted for.
OK, this doesn't determine it in an absolute sense, but with a histogram, this would be no problem I think.

Neil<br />_________________________________________________ _______________________________<br />I now shoot mostly with a 5D &amp; 16-35 f/2.8L;<br />I also shoot with Olympus Zuiko OM lenses on a 10D, and a Canon G2 P&amp;S;<br />When I shoot film, I usually use an Olympus OM-1N, or a Hasselblad 500C + Carl Zeiss 80mm f/2.8
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: