Your camera equipment mishaps - Page 9
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008   #81
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 53
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Your camera equipment mishaps

Do you still have the cat?
HUMMER_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #82
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788
Editing OK?: Ask first

I have a good one from this weekend. I went downtown to try out my large format view camera techniques. I've been shooting Polaroid film for quicker feedback.

I get the camera set up, get the movements right. Perfect focus, perspective correction, and light. Get the Polaroid film out of the car. Check. Where's that dang Polaroid back? Well at home of course! Put camera gear in car. Drive home. Get Polaroid back. Drive back and set up all over again.

Get pretty close to where I was before. Put Polaroid back in camera. Put film envelope in camera. Pull envelope out. All the way out. Dangit. Disassemble Polaroid back and get the sheet film out. Get another sheet of film. Pull that envelope all the way out. Dangit again. Box with remaining two sheets blows down the street. I had been putting the film in backwards! Retrieve box of film and try again.

I did end up getting the shot with my last remaining sheets, but what a nightmare! It doesn't have to be digital to mess up!

Bob
Latinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #83
Former Camel

I have similar mishaps with much greater frequency than 40 years ago. My Grands lovingly refer to them a brainfarts. They cant EVEN imagine how cool I was at their age!!
Old 03-17-2008   #84
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788

Yep. My dad calls it CRS. Can't Remember S#!t. I have a chronic case of it.

Bob
Latinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #85
Former Camel

Yes I'm afraid I to am reaching the point where I will never see another re-run.
Old 03-27-2008   #86
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 25

Well, here's my take on mishaps with my photography equipment.

I hail from Singapore, and I live in one of countless apartment blocks here. Personally, I have an irrational fear of cockroaches, a phobia, and this led to one hilarious scenario one evening. I was returning home after a commemorative dinner function with my mother and my gear was in a shoulder bag. As I approach my apartment door and negan turning the key in my door to unlock it, I happened to look up at the top section of the door, only to see a large cockroach which incidentally launched itself at me - it decided to fly straight at my face.

What happens next was a flurry of Hollywod action stunts in real life; I turned on one heel, on the second step I leapt forwards to get away from the winged horror. As I did so, my left foot tripped over my right, and I was airborn for about 6 feet & landed with camera bag on the side of the corridor. Meanwhile, my mother who was standing on the side behind me, really didn't have a chance to decipher what was happening. She saw me turn, leapt and landed 6 feet away and came to my aid only to trip over one of my legs (I was sprawled face down) and she had to struggle to retain balance to avoid trampling on me, so she ended up hugging the corridor wall such that one side of her face was up against it rather hard. She wore glasses, and this caused her metal framed glasses to become deformed by the impact.

I landed hard on my chin, I nearly blacked out from the impact. I turned over and to my horror I thought I was really going to black out! But no, I realize I was almost looking up my mom's long evening dress! She manages to regain her footing and balance, while I realize that itchy sensation under my chin and neck was actually blood oozing from an open wound under my chin. It was dripping quite alarmingly, but ironically, I began snickering and in no time this turned into full blown laughter when I looked up to see my mother's glasses - it looked like one of those Face Hugging creatires in the movie Alien - desperately clinging on to her face. And to all this, the cockroach was nowhere in sight.

On checking my camera and gear after all that, I found that everything was well protected inside. Only that I had to spend about one week, lying down because of a headache caused by landing on my chin; my brain was jarred in its cranium according to my family doctor.

The next incident happened while another photo-shooting trip exactly one week after the Cockroach Leap; I had all my gear in a back pack, just got out of my car and walking to an old horse racing circuit when I somehow tripped over my legs again (I attribute this to the fact that I haven't yet completely recovered from the previous fall - and my head was still woozy) and I landed face foward again, this time, my camera was hung around my neck with a lens attached! I managed to cushion the fall with my hands but the camera swung forth hitting the concrete floor hard with my partial weight on it! The lens cap caved in on the rim of the attached ND filter, the filter's rim got scratched up slightly dented, and the bottom of the vertical grip bot scratched up too. Thankfully, this camera and lens till today, is still working ok.

Guess what's next? My father passed away the following week...
ShutterBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #87
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

My camera equipment mishap was of a totally different nature. It was called getting married and having kids. Film was expensive, and with the added expenses it became a luxury except for birthdays, holidays etc. A darkroom (in the windowless bathroom) was no longer practical. Developing and processing chemicals and toddlers do not mix well. Photography suffered for several years and the entire darkroom was sold off.

Now they are all in their early 20's, all out of college (except 1 who is a senior) getting married and there is money at the end of the month. Something I haven't seen in a long time. Plus digital has saved me from a big dark room. It was just as expensive with buying PhotoShop, but cleaner.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #88
I'm around sometimes

CamelKarma: 86064
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterBug View Post
Well, here's my take on mishaps with my photography equipment.

I hail from Singapore, and I live in one of countless apartment blocks here. Personally, I have an irrational fear of cockroaches, a phobia, and this led to one hilarious scenario one evening. I was returning home after a commemorative dinner function with my mother and my gear was in a shoulder bag. As I approach my apartment door and negan turning the key in my door to unlock it, I happened to look up at the top section of the door, only to see a large cockroach which incidentally launched itself at me - it decided to fly straight at my face.

What happens next was a flurry of Hollywod action stunts in real life; I turned on one heel, on the second step I leapt forwards to get away from the winged horror. As I did so, my left foot tripped over my right, and I was airborn for about 6 feet & landed with camera bag on the side of the corridor. Meanwhile, my mother who was standing on the side behind me, really didn't have a chance to decipher what was happening. She saw me turn, leapt and landed 6 feet away and came to my aid only to trip over one of my legs (I was sprawled face down) and she had to struggle to retain balance to avoid trampling on me, so she ended up hugging the corridor wall such that one side of her face was up against it rather hard. She wore glasses, and this caused her metal framed glasses to become deformed by the impact.

I landed hard on my chin, I nearly blacked out from the impact. I turned over and to my horror I thought I was really going to black out! But no, I realize I was almost looking up my mom's long evening dress! She manages to regain her footing and balance, while I realize that itchy sensation under my chin and neck was actually blood oozing from an open wound under my chin. It was dripping quite alarmingly, but ironically, I began snickering and in no time this turned into full blown laughter when I looked up to see my mother's glasses - it looked like one of those Face Hugging creatires in the movie Alien - desperately clinging on to her face. And to all this, the cockroach was nowhere in sight.

On checking my camera and gear after all that, I found that everything was well protected inside. Only that I had to spend about one week, lying down because of a headache caused by landing on my chin; my brain was jarred in its cranium according to my family doctor.

The next incident happened while another photo-shooting trip exactly one week after the Cockroach Leap; I had all my gear in a back pack, just got out of my car and walking to an old horse racing circuit when I somehow tripped over my legs again (I attribute this to the fact that I haven't yet completely recovered from the previous fall - and my head was still woozy) and I landed face foward again, this time, my camera was hung around my neck with a lens attached! I managed to cushion the fall with my hands but the camera swung forth hitting the concrete floor hard with my partial weight on it! The lens cap caved in on the rim of the attached ND filter, the filter's rim got scratched up slightly dented, and the bottom of the vertical grip bot scratched up too. Thankfully, this camera and lens till today, is still working ok.

Guess what's next? My father passed away the following week...
Not a great month sir, cockroaches are evil
Old 04-01-2008   #89
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Managed to drop my bag containing my MacBook while trying to get it out of a locker today. Didn't think much of it until someone pointed out that the case of my MacBook is bent and separated above where the "MagSafe" power adapter plugs in.

I kind of need the computer right now, even though I'm working on getting a Vista computer up and running, so if all the ports and stuff work when I get a chance to test them I'll probably just gaffer's tape the case down (already bent it back with my hand) and deal with it later. The screen already has a couple marks on it (and a ding from an AC adapter hitting it).

I edit photos on the computer, so I guess it counts as camera equipment... =)

cyclohexane is online now   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: