Your camera equipment mishaps - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Your camera equipment mishaps

Some years back I lived right next to the Clackamas River outside Portland, Ore. I fly fished and photographed very often on the river. My house sat above the river and there was a fairly steep bank and a trail down to the water maybe 10 meters long. I sometimes would stay longer than I should without any source of light after sundown. I had my camera, rod and reel etc. walking along the edge of the water jumping from boulder to boulder. It grew very dark where I could barely make out the silhouette of the boulders, jumping from one to the other to reach the trail home.
As I was trying to distinguish one rock from another sometimes jumping several feet I gave a mighty leap to the next boulder BUT, it wasn't a boulder but a large rounded fern that looked like a boulder. I fell in a heap partly in the water maybe 8 or 10 ft. I laid there for a moment trying to determine if I was intact.....I was, just bruised but the camera lens suffered a terminal fate, I did save the graphite rod though. Had to buy a new lens.
Old 10-26-2007   #12
Llama

CamelKarma: 12903
Editing OK?: Yes

I saved for two years to buy a L lens for my 20D. I ended up getting the 70-200 L USM. A very sweet lens. One day as I walked into my kitchen my camera (with lens attached) fell out of my backpack styled bag. At first I thought I was very lucky...I snapped a couple of shots with no incident...then the inside glass broke free. It was definitely not my lucky day. I am back to using my kit lens and saving once again. The L lens resides in my sock drawer. I can't bring myself to throw it away.

Pamela
ShutterbuginAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #13
Llama

CamelKarma: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterbuginAZ View Post
I saved for two years to buy a L lens for my 20D. I ended up getting the 70-200 L USM. A very sweet lens. One day as I walked into my kitchen my camera (with lens attached) fell out of my backpack styled bag. At first I thought I was very lucky...I snapped a couple of shots with no incident...then the inside glass broke free. It was definitely not my lucky day. I am back to using my kit lens and saving once again. The L lens resides in my sock drawer. I can't bring myself to throw it away.
Have you gotten a quote for repair? It might only need to be refastened and calibrated...

www.kabeach.com
KABeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #14
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

had my camera sync cord tucked in my pocket. Walked away from the tripod, pulled it over and bent the film rewind knob shaft on a Nikon F2

My uncle tripped over my sync cord and pulled over a hassy w 150mm lens onto the street. Fortunately he only busted the custom modified lens hood. Still have it for parts.

Tipped over my tripod at the beach and had a hassy and 150 go into the sand. Big repair bill to clean it all out.

Didn't fully attach the tripod shoe to the foba stand and dropped a Omega 4x5 view camera. About broke my rib trying to dive through the stand to catch the camera. Missed, shattered.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #15
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

a different kind of mishap.....

i was shooting in the woods one day and needed to stop by the bank. not wanting to leave my gear in the car i carried it into the bank. please note i had the lens gripped by the tripod mount and the camera was in the nook at my elbow. to not bang the camera i opened the door with my back against it and rolled around the end. with my arm bent and the lens pointing up. it was late fall early winter in the Poconos so i was dressed for outside. the teller thought i was carrying a gun and was there to rob the bank. so she trips the alarm and the cops come, the bank guard pulls his gun and points it at me. the police were laughing so hard once they saw the camera.

another dont try this at home stunt....

when the state police are pointing the radar gun at your car, do not point your really big tele lens at them. for some reason they do not find it as funny as you do.
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #16
Llama

CamelKarma: 12903

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABeach View Post
Have you gotten a quote for repair? It might only need to be refastened and calibrated...
Unfortunately the repair quote was just $180 short of purchasing a new lens. The glass was completely shattered. I am unsure how I was able to get off the 2 shots I did after dropping it.

Pamela
ShutterbuginAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #17
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 22

I haven't had any serious mishaps yet *crosses fingers*, the closest is dropping my bag from a foot or less, but that's just me being careless (shame on me!).

D70s, 18-200mm VR, Tokina 12-24mm, SB-600
18-70mm FOR SALE
Cookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 22

another dont try this at home stunt....

when the state police are pointing the radar gun at your car, do not point your really big tele lens at them. for some reason they do not find it as funny as you do.[/quote]

that is funny !!
Phyllisva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #19
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 136021
Editing OK?: No

1971, dropped a less than a week old Olympus OM-1 out of a helicopter. Even though it was in a soft case the eight foot drop pulled the whole lense mount right out of the front of the camera. Bought a Nikon F the next day.
Assorted old film gear.
And my trusty 45 year old Weston light meter.
Critiques and comments always welcome.
oldugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #20
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpickev View Post
a different kind of mishap.....

i was shooting in the woods one day and needed to stop by the bank. not wanting to leave my gear in the car i carried it into the bank. please note i had the lens gripped by the tripod mount and the camera was in the nook at my elbow. to not bang the camera i opened the door with my back against it and rolled around the end. with my arm bent and the lens pointing up. it was late fall early winter in the Poconos so i was dressed for outside. the teller thought i was carrying a gun and was there to rob the bank. so she trips the alarm and the cops come, the bank guard pulls his gun and points it at me. the police were laughing so hard once they saw the camera.
Amazing story.

JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: