Must-have non-photographic accessories
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2005   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Must-have non-photographic accessories

What's standard non-photographic equipment for you as a photographer that makes your photographic journeys what they are?

For me, when it's outdoors shooting, I need:

Hiking boots (no worry about getting wet, dirty, etc.)
Hiking socks (see above)

JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 13
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Must-have non-photographic accessories

Ditto, the hiking boots & explorer socks. My other biggy is a camelback(no pun intended), some of my favourite days out are at MTB races and it can get pretty dry & dusty on the track.

Does anyone know of a camera backpack that has space for some extra kit (clothes, trail food etc)& a hydration pack? Or a camera insert system to put inside a regular camelback style bag? This would make me a happy camel...
Kurt Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 25

For people in cooler climates like me I find having a pair of Marmot liner gloves really take the chill off, they are thin and tight and just provide protection from the elements to make things bearable.

The other necessity I have is an extremely light camping chair made by Coleman, again it just makes things so much easier when I am hunkered down waited for my next 'victim' to come into my viewfinder.

Next thing on my list is probably is blind made out of camouflage material of some sort but I guess that's photography related...

Neil V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #4
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Petersen
My other biggy is a camelback(no pun intended), some of my favourite days out are at MTB races and it can get pretty dry & dusty on the track.

Does anyone know of a camera backpack that has space for some extra kit (clothes, trail food etc)& a hydration pack? Or a camera insert system to put inside a regular camelback style bag? This would make me a happy camel...
Good idea. I'm always trying to stuff water somewhere.

I should add to my list above:

Hiking pants or shorts, with pockets everywhere, in the legs as well as in the normal places.

Just check all those pockets before you wash the pants!
Old 10-06-2005   #5
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Vanderwolf
Next thing on my list is probably is blind made out of camouflage material of some sort but I guess that's photography related...
I have a rue blind that drapes over my head, and I've never used it. Hot in there!
Old 10-06-2005   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 80

Once I start working in the hospitals it will probably be stuff like

a tickle stick (feather or some other kind of duster with a fairly long reach)
some sort of small stuffed animal that makes noise to attract attention
hospital approved bribes for the kids that are too old to smile at the tickles or the noisy toy but are too young to cooperate.
mask for me and shoe covers to keep out germs
rubbing alcohol or bleach or other cleaners to kill germs

Non- hospital shoots
patience
a babysitter

Sara
Old 10-06-2005   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 23

One of those tiny LED keychain flashlights (for seeing door locks in the dark)...to be able to read switches and buttons on the camera body.

Small disk bubble level from the hardware store (much cheaper than photo store versions!)... for leveling camera on tripod.

FRS walkie talkie...to talk to a photo assistant who is a good distance away without shouting

Mesh travel bags usually for holding loose sundries...for keeping things easier to find in your photo bag

Camping ground pad...cut into chunks for separating multiple items like two lenses in one divider area in the camera bag

Neck cord for glasses...so you can dangle your sunglasses around your neck when focusing and shooting

Jewelers screwdriver kit, allen wrench kit...to tighten things before they fall out!

Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #8
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellette
[...] rubbing alcohol or bleach or other cleaners to kill germs [...]

Sara
It'll be interesting to see you "kill germs" on your photo equipment with "rubbing alcohol or bleach or other cleaners", Sara . . .

;P
RS
Rokcet Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist

It'll be interesting to see you "kill germs" on your photo equipment with "rubbing alcohol or bleach or other cleaners", Sara . . .

;P
RS
Why? Anything that the child touches has to be germ free. It is making getting a background a bit difficult but I may just see if I can put plexiglass down and clean that...have to check with the hospital. The camera isn't going to be breathing on the kids, they aren't going to be touching it, I won't set it on anything they may later touch, it isn't like I'm going to be soaking my camera in alcohol before every shoot.

Sara
Old 10-06-2005   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

My Palm device. I take notes on it, and look at charts and settings and stuff that I have on there. It also has phone numbers in it in case I need help.

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: