Using aftermarket batteries - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2017   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Using aftermarket batteries

Been using DSTE batteries in my Nikon D810 grip without issue.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810
Editing OK?: Ask First

Well now, I have used aftermarket batteries in my old D-1, my D2x, my D70. my D70s, my D200, my Fuji S3, S5, my Nikon D700, D800. D750 and none exploded, none caught fire, none performed any worse than Nikon ones. I now have the D750. D800, and D2x and the only Nikon batteries they have seen are the ones that came with the camera. Oh, I also use aftermarket batteries in my Panasonic G5, my Olympus EPL-1 and they have not been damaged in any way. I guess the answer for me has been that they are as good or almost as good as Nikon at one heck of a lower price.
jhawk1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

As a general rule, camera manufacturers usually don't manufacture their own batteries; they are just rebranded batteries, perhaps with minor modifications, made by someone else. A third-party may be just as good if the the third-party is reputable. In some cases, you might have no choice, especially if you are shopping for replacement batteries for discontinued equipment.
scoundrel1728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #14
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Revived an 11 year old thread. Whoa, we are getting old. Anyway, way back then I had no issues and for the most part it remained. I did have 2 Wasabi batteries that swelled, one so much so that it wouldn't come out of the camera once it was in. It actually swelled upon recharging and when I put it in the body it was tight, but it wouldn't come out because the little "prong: that helps hold it in kept catching on the millimeter indent on the one side of the battery where the label is. I had to get a tiny screwdriver and move the prong out of the way to get the battery out. Then it went in the bin along with another that was as tight.

I believe they can "swell" if you don't readily take them off the Wasabi charger as the "after market" chargers have 2 or 3 contacts and the OEM ones have one for all the battery gold fingers, one of which is the "smart connector" that makes the charger quit charging. Or so I believe....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Apparently the Wasabi version wasn't quite compatible with with the OEM version or the equipment that the batteries were intended to power. I am havng a difficult time understanding which. Was that an incompatibility of the Wasabi chargers with standard batteries or incompatibility of the batteries with the chargers?
scoundrel1728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #16
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10108519

I charge my Wasabis in the OEM Canon charger and never had a problem of any kind.
Canon 80D
Misc. Canon Lenses
Sigma 150-600mm C
Sigma 100-400mm C
Samyang 8mm Fisheye
greenjeans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017   #17
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I use Hähnel batteries in my olympus alongside with olympus-branded ones. Haven't had an issue in three years and see no difference in performance.

That said, I did my homework before buying them, I am very careful with all things lithium. Hähnel seems a well-regarded brand.
Rampant Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 18915

I've used plenty of the aftermarket batteries form Amazon. EOM batteries are usually around $54 and you can find the aftermarket ones for $19. Now I use both, and always will use my OEM battery first. However the el cheapo batteries make great spares for the longer shooting days.
Cameron V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017   #19
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

All batteries are after market batteries, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, BMW, Boeing, Cessna etc. None of them make batteries. Sure the batteries the camera makers use are made to their specifications but then accessories are the real money maker in the camera world. Frankly their specifications and the specifications for the non OEM branded are not that different if they are different at all.

If you buy into the Makers warnings that using non oem batteries will void you warranty then you will end up paying $54 dollars for that $20 battery. Not a bad profit margin for a few words on a piece of paper.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017   #20
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 100643

I was told this was a big no no. Buy brand batteries to avoid lower power that might cause problems.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: