Film vs Digital: Fashion photography shootout
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2018   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1543000
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Film vs Digital: Fashion photography shootout

Here's what I think is a really well done 'Shootout'. Some excellent work and pretty well documented. Take a look, see if what you expect actually happens.

Film vs Digital: Fashion photography shootout

Old 01-24-2018   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120
Default Re: Film vs Digital: Fashion photography shootout

Interesting. But it's hard to compare the final results. They should have shot the same poses one after another, and both shooting either color or B&W.

About a year ago, I had a sudden urge to shoot film again. So I took out my Yashica Mat 124G and went shooting with my light meter. It does slow you down, which I don't mind. I'm not a volume shooter anyway. Drives me crazy to hear the constant shutters going at a press conference!

What I did find a huge turn off though, was having to drive some place to actually find film, and then have to drive back to have it developed, and then drive back again a week later to pick it up. I quickly decided it was way too much trouble.

Digital all the way!

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1543000
Default Re: Film vs Digital: Fashion photography shootout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2scene View Post
Interesting. But it's hard to compare the final results. They should have shot the same poses one after another, and both shooting either color or B&W.

About a year ago, I had a sudden urge to shoot film again. So I took out my Yashica Mat 124G and went shooting with my light meter. It does slow you down, which I don't mind. I'm not a volume shooter anyway. Drives me crazy to hear the constant shutters going at a press conference!

What I did find a huge turn off though, was having to drive some place to actually find film, and then have to drive back to have it developed, and then drive back again a week later to pick it up. I quickly decided it was way too much trouble.

Digital all the way!
You can order almost any kind of film now from many places on the web, I use The Darkroom fro developing around ten bucks for any size 35mm roll 12-24-36 get your negs, and a low scan on a cd. I use a Wolverine scanner and get excellent results. I shoot Nikon F2 and an FM mostly Ilford film. I print my own on a Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer. There are a few more film shooters on here that far surpass me,. Take a look in the Black & White Forum.
* Also I understand that there are more 1hr film dev locations showing up...so no excuses!!!!!!!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: