My camera is no more...in the market for something new
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 4643212
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default My camera is no more...in the market for something new

Hey guys! Its been a while! I just got back from over a month in Europe- i'll be posting photos of that soon.However. Recently my camera and I took a tumble and, well, it is no more. So on that incredibly depressing note, I obviously need a new one and have no idea where to start.

I have been shooting with my Nikon D7100 for about 4 years now. I have never fully LOVED it, so I am entirely open to either switching brands or...? Im not loyal to Nikon. Also, since I have have to buy a new camera, I figure I may as well just take the plunge now and upgrade to full frame. I dont think I can afford the top of the line, so im looking for not-top-of-the-line-but-still-really-awesome stuff. Im curious to know what everyone here recommends. Im headed back to England in August so would like to have something purchased by then.

Im not opposed to buying used...

Thanks guys!

southerngeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383
Default Re: My camera is no more...in the market for something new

I've used Nikon (and others) since 1968. Nikon lenses from that era can still be used on my D5100 without some modern conveniences. The D3100 that preceded it had over 40,000 shutter actuations with no camera problems when it was passed down to a young friend. Certainly other brands used by other photographers have done as well, and some Nikon users do move on to other brands. The choice is one that each of us has to make for ourselves.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Sounds like a new beginning, and a sad way to do it. Anyway, what were the pros and cons of the D7100? You must have been comfortable with the Nikon, I'd think, to keep it for 4 years. To go full frame, your brands are limited, but Nikon is one if you have other lenses or have a "feel" for it. Using a Canon or a Sony will feel different, behave different, and process different. Yeah, switching from APS to FF will make things different, like processing, but there is a lot there if you switch to Sony, with its smaller body but same size lenses, so it might feel unbalanced to you. Canon, not so much, but it does feel and behave different.

Lots of thinking and researching...and hope you find the right new tool.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544
Editing OK?: Ask First

You mention that you "never fully LOVED" your lately departed D7100. See if you can put words to the cause of what about the D7100 wasn't quite up to your full liking and what you might be willing to trade off in features to get something closer to your ideal. It would also help to know what lenses you have, keeping in mind that they will work different with a full-frame camera. Also, keep in mind that if you jump to Canon, you may still be able to use your Nikon lenses though the VR feature will not work and the focus will be only semi-automatic at best. The kind of Nikon-specific equipment you must replace will also give you a handle on how committed you are to the Nikon system, should you decide to go to something else. Even if you stick with Nikon, you may find that some of your wide-angle zooms don't work well through their entire zoom ranges with FX format and that the FX format uncovers at the corners of the image some sins that remained hidden with the DX format.

Also, do you have something to limp along on while you make your decision? You can get a used, down-rev body, e.g., a D3x00 or D5x00, pretty cheaply to tide you over while you make your final decision. For something like this, keh.com is your friend. KEH also gives you a short warranty on its used equipment.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017   #5
Llama

Well, first and foremost I never felt like the quality of photo I got out of my d7100 was up to par with what I expected/hoped for. Granted my lenses were not top-of-the-line but I still expected better.
I really have minimal equipment. My tripod would be usable with other equipment...same with my remotes and flash, I would think. So thankfully there wouldnt be a large loss there.

Im not saying im entirely turned off of Nikon... I simply am open to other options.

I had a 35mm, tokina 11-16 mm and kit lens (18-105 I think).

I do NOT have anything to use while I decide. Its kind of a bummer. My phone will have to do for now. I intend to make a decision..hopefully within the next week or so, then make a purchase.
Old 06-12-2017   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1509760

If I were starting over I would move to Sony. In fact thinking about it hurts as I have been shooting Nikon since 1972. Eye focus and the ability to focus on a programmed face as well as the better sensors all push toward Sony. Sony made nikon sensors but kept their best for themselves it seems. They now have a stable of lens and over took Nikon this year as number two.
Tinstafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 8577

I recently upgraded from the Nikon D300 (APS-C) to the Nikon D750 (FF) and spent many days considering the choices. For me the D750 was attractive because of FF, size, low noise at high ISO, weight, current stable of Nikon lenses, and price for a refurbed unit. If I didn't have the Nikon lenses I probably would have gone with the Fuji XT-2.

The question I have is what is your main genre of photography? That will help narrow down the choices for the new camera.
Old 06-12-2017   #8
Llama

Ironically the 750 is what I've been looking at and liking. How do you like it?

I mainly shoot travel/landscape/nature/architecture. However I want to start doing family photos and possibly eventually engagements.
Old 06-12-2017   #9
Llama

I've also looked at a few canons and the new Sony A 7. There are just so many options I feel overwhelmed
Old 06-12-2017   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 226472

There are a LOT of REALLY nice cameras on the market today! The big names are still putting out quality.

I started DSLR with a Canon EOS-D30. Klicked that dog like it was stolen, took great pictures! I thought Id upgrade, so I sold it and got a Pentax K110D.. Honestly, the D30 could take the Pentax for a walk. The poor performance and quality of the K110D left a bad taste in my mouth, so when I got a tidy bonus check at work (the first ever in six years), I did some serious shopping. About a month later, I got the Nikon 5300, and I LOVE IT!

I wanted to do cine style video, AND photography, and the 5300 is the only one in the price range I could afford that gave me all the key points I needed and wanted.

Point is, find your price range... find a camera that matches. Having a body that takes existing lens is likely a BIG plus.

GL,
Andrew

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35295761@N08/albums

My albums at photocamel:
http://photocamel.com/gallery/u69945-shutterklick.html
ShutterKlick is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: