Slide and Film Conversion
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 487620
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Slide and Film Conversion

I have an enormous amount of 35 mm slides and negatives and even some 8 mm film that I would like to digitize.
However, being the prudent, fiscally responsible individual that I am (wife says cheapskate) I don't want to spend much.

There are devices available on Amazon for around $100.00 U.S.D. that are tempting me. Has anyone here had any experience with them?

heaterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Slide and Film Conversion

You might get some better feedback if we knew just which devices you are considering.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #3
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
You might get some better feedback if we knew just which devices you are considering.
I think you're correct. Here is the type I've been looking at:
Magnasonic All-In-One High Resolution 22MP Film Scanner, Converts 126KPK/135/110/Super 8 Films, Slides, Negatives into Digital Photos, Vibrant 2.4” LCD Screen, Impressive 128MB Built-In Memory
Old 05-04-2017   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

Frankly anything that has All in One in the title usually means so-so at everything. Dont let the 22mp fool you either. No where does it say what resolution it scans at.

If you actually serious about wanting to save these for anything other than just looking at on a computer monitor, no prints etc. then it might do.

If you really want to archive them, all but the film, then you want to look at something more like this. https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Perfect.../dp/B00OCEJM9K

And to get the best quality images you will want to use this procedure: http://www.timlaytonfineart.com/blog...n-v750-scanner

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948

I have seen little adds on that Magnasonic scanner which is confirmed to scan a 35mm slide or negative in 5 seconds. I have scanned thousands of slides with a Nikon scanner and the best it could achieve was a scan in 90 secs without dirt particle / emulsion pinhole rejection and 180 secs with the above. It sounds like what the Magnasonic is doing is a photo of the film. I significantly doubt that you will be getting what you think you will be getting. I would suggest you find the owner / user manual for that scanner online and read the info.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

I think they might be right in that it takes a picture of it....
http://www.magnasonic.com/downloads/...ish_manual.pdf

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 54761647

I'm cheap, fiscally responsible, well sometimes, also. When faced with a bunch of bw negatives that I wanted to digitalized a while ago, I wasn't satisfied with the results I was getting with an epson scanner I owned. I rigged up a set up where I could mounted a negative on a piece of card with the appropriate sized hole cut in it with an even light source behind. Used my 5dlll with a 100 macro to take photos of the neg and got surprisingly good results. Might not be the best option but it was entertaining and gave me very good digital negs to work with.

Chuck
fatoldbaldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 683702

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldbaldguy View Post
I'm cheap, fiscally responsible, well sometimes, also. When faced with a bunch of bw negatives that I wanted to digitalized a while ago, I wasn't satisfied with the results I was getting with an epson scanner I owned. I rigged up a set up where I could mounted a negative on a piece of card with the appropriate sized hole cut in it with an even light source behind. Used my 5dlll with a 100 macro to take photos of the neg and got surprisingly good results. Might not be the best option but it was entertaining and gave me very good digital negs to work with.

Chuck
Absolutely the way to go. Basically a digital version of
a slide duping rig. One big advantage not emphasized
in your post is SPEED. In your rig, the "scanning" time
is a fraction of a second. No scanner can touch that !

The other advantage to such a rig is that if you put the
diffuse backlighting fairly close to chrome or neg [less
than an inch] it will hide most small surface defects in
your originals cuz light floods around each defect from
multiple directions. OTOH a scanner actually magnifies
such defects cuz the bright-line light source is so harsh.
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017   #9
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldbaldguy View Post

Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem View Post
Absolutely the way to go. Basically a digital version of
a slide duping rig. One big advantage not emphasized
in your post is SPEED. In your rig, the "scanning" time
is a fraction of a second. No scanner can touch that !

The other advantage to such a rig is that if you put the
diffuse backlighting fairly close to chrome or neg [less
than an inch] it will hide most small surface defects in
your originals cuz light floods around each defect from
multiple directions. OTOH a scanner actually magnifies
such defects cuz the bright-line light source is so harsh.
Thanks guys! Good alternatives.

heaterguy is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: