Another question about shooting video.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 750031
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default Another question about shooting video.

Is it possible to shoot video without the camera automatically going to "live view"? I shoot with Pentax cameras, either a K-30, K-50 or a Kx. I've read everything the operating manual has to offer about video (movies) and nothing is mentioned about this matter.

The problem I have is, I find it very difficult to see what I'm shooting due to the glare off of the LED screen when in broad daylight. I suppose I could use a black cloth.... and go for the "retro-look".... but I'd rather not if possible.

I'm taking a day trip to Shoshone Falls tomorrow morning and I was hoping to shoot some video in addition to still images. I called the Twin Falls Chamber of Commerce and they said the water was flowing like gangbusters! Hmmm.... this is something I should have considered sooner, me thinks. You'd think after 71 years, I'd learn, eh?

Thanks for any advice.

Dewman (Clueless in Idaho!)

Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 226472
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Another question about shooting video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
Is it possible to shoot video without the camera automatically going to "live view"?
Short answer:
No.

Long answer:
In order to shoot video, the mirror must be in the up position, sensor in full time mode. The only way to achieve this is to go to Live View mode.

The only other way is to run a mirrorless camera where the Live View mode is the default method of operation.

The final solution: Camcorder.

I have not had my 5300 long, and am shooting promotional videos with it at work, because I can make cinematic looking video with it.. Im in full control of the DOF, Bokah, exposure, etc.. and shoot at 24fps to achieve that "action blur" look that 60p wont give you, which translates into "that film look".

BTW, if your looking for an awesome, and powerful editing program Magix is the ticket. You can do anything with it that you would want to do right now, its not too difficult but yet it's very powerful. And, affordable too.

HTH,
Andrew

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35295761@N08/albums

My albums at photocamel:
http://photocamel.com/gallery/u69945-shutterklick.html
ShutterKlick is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: