Ok all, I need advice on shooting models
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Ok all, I need advice on shooting models

Ok, I mostly have done nature, buildings etc...well, a couple of young ladies approached me asking if I would want to do some shots of them, nature shots IE: skinny dipping, water poses etc...what would be a good lens for this, do you guys who shoot models uuse anything specific?.....This is a newbie question I know, but this is my first serious shoot of people, aside from just snapshots...I have a couple of light boxes and portable power, the camera I have is a Nikon D80......this also gives me the excuse to buy a new lens Thanks for any and all advice

Old 03-14-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Ok all, I need advice on shooting models

Well, obviously, you need to be able to work with them. By that, I mean you'd have to be able to talk to them and get a good rapport going.

Quote:
what would be a good lens for this, do you guys who shoot models uuse anything specific?
You use the lens you need to get the effect you want.
Old 03-14-2007   #3
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460
Editing OK?: No

Agrees with Cyclohexane..........you will find the challenge entirely enough without getting too "geary". Keep it simple and concentrate on the people....cheers...Bob
heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805

This sounds more dangerous than the Water Moccasin shot. The terms 'young' and 'skinny dipping' in the same sentence make me wonder if this is a poor place to start with people shooting. In any event, first shots in any genre should be kept simple.
Old 03-15-2007   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsmit View Post
This sounds more dangerous than the Water Moccasin shot. The terms 'young' and 'skinny dipping' in the same sentence make me wonder if this is a poor place to start with people shooting. In any event, first shots in any genre should be kept simple.
Throw in the studio lights and "portable power" and things get really interesting...
Old 03-15-2007   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13

Lol...you guys crack me up....the girls are 24 and 26,, they want some shots, I need the practice, I'll post a few of the shots once we are done
rommelvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15

What lens is the question. I find most of my portfolio is normal to wide angle.

The question really should be how will you use this art? If it's for personal portfolio maybe a medium telephoto to provide tight cropping, BUT if your working for publications remember to leave the editors enough space for vertical OR hortizontal layouts - and of course space for copy

UnivModels is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: