NYIP deal or no deal?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 24
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default NYIP deal or no deal?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the New York Institute of Photography? I've been thinking, for quite awhile now, of taking the course. I'm looking at it as a way to take everything to strong consistient quality level. The course has changed over the past few years to include more business info which interests me as well as the photography how-to side of things. Plus, the press pass you get while doing the course might be nice to gets better access to sports events. Thanks in advance.

Michael

30D
50mm f1.8
EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS
MRVere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: NYIP deal or no deal?

i know 2 people that have used it and liked it. so 2 for 2 aint bad.
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #3
Alpaca

You're right, 2 for 2 aint bad. I figure if nobody in the forum gives me a solid "NO" to change my mind, I give NYIP the 'ol VISA number at the end of the week. It's something I've wanted to do for years. Thanks for the input.
EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS
Old 03-06-2007   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I have taken the course and I enjoyed it. I was expecting more from the critics then I get. The course is centered around film, but the same theory applies to digital. Don't expect any Photoshop hints/short cuts as they don't use it at all.

The basic course is focused on Photography - not computers and PP. This part I liked.

Could you get the info elsewhere - like on the net? Yes. Would you or did you? No, that's why you are asking about the course.

If you are in (or prevously) had military time, write them a letter and they may give you another $100 off.

You have three years to complete the course - which is not hard to do withn this timeframe.

I would recommend the course.

ko
TheKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #5
Alpaca

KO, Thanks for the input. I had alreqady heard that they do not give any Digital or Photoshop advice during this course. I can live with that. They do offer a Photoshop course that I might look into also. I don't have any Military background but, I did call them to ask a few more question and, because I had gotten the info from them in the past they quoted me a price $150 lower than the price I got in the mail. I also asked if I could get the Ansel Adams books that they used to offer instead of the camera bag they are offering now(got plenty of bags) they said no problem as long as I paid in full.
With the positive feedback I got from you and from Badpickev, I gonna go for it.
Michael
EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS
Old 03-07-2007   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1054
Editing OK?: Ask first

Hold out a little longer. The third offer was the best for me. I eventually decided not to do it because I was learning everything I need through free resources on the next and building experience.

Is impatience worth the price they are offering you?
brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #7
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

If they gave you the $150 bucks off then you are probably at the "go" spot. If you pay in full,they also do not require yo complete the course within three years and yo get all of the stuff sent to you almost all at once.

Enjoy the course.

KO

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: